Events Made Easy Forums How do I … weekly schedule

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

i want to integrate an weekly schedule and this functionality is sadly missing (or do i do not understand how to use it?)

I try to circumvent these limitation via using amr_ical_events which needs the icals in return. For this it would be nice to get the categories inside the exported ical so that i can adapt the look of the schedule regarding the categories.

Besides, i searched really long to find a nice solution to this. But it seems this isn’t doable so easy (besides switching to some other event-plugin, but eme is in several regards very good and flexibel)

Franky
    Keymaster

If using the shortcode [events_list], “scope=this_week” and “paging=1” are maybe the options you look for?

Anonymous
    Inactive

laevar, as a side note, for me the EME categories DO show up in the ICS file, within each event’s description field.

That is apparently because I was already specifically including the display of the event’s categories with my “Default event list format”, like this:

<b>Categories For This Event -</b>  #_CATEGORIES

So maybe you could pick the categories up that way within your amr_ical_events setup if you still want to use that plugin.

But certainly Franky’s “scope=this_week” seems like a much better and simpler native solution.

Anonymous
    Inactive

No, thats also a list. I want a schedule which for example kids use in school. I want to create something like this http://laevar.de/schedule.png. This is actually the blueprint of what i want to accomplish.

Regarding the categories: yes, they are there, but i have to parse them manually because they are in the description. Ical has its own “categories” field. Ok, it is of course possible to parse it, but this needs rewriting code of the amr_plugin.

Franky
    Keymaster

Yes, it returns a list, but using the format option you can format it any way you like (like a table)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well, i used the format-option already alot; but: it formats one single element, not a list so i have no control over when to break to next column for example. Ok, i can use combinations of lists for a day, concatenating them together inside a table. This should work, but is a little awkward. Anyway, its much less work and more flexible to try to use the ical->amr_events thing.

Thank you, but perhaps you will think about implementing it as default-option. When i have this worked out like i wrote above, i can provide it to you, and perhaps it can be included in the plugin.

Anonymous
    Inactive

laevar, your example image looks a lot like a calendar to me. To do this without the second plugin, perhaps you could modify EME’s calendar display code to show one week of information as per your example.

Also, another, perhaps cleaner way is to modify the eme_ical.php module to include the categories you want. It’s pretty easy to call the EME categories — I was able to include them in various parts of my site, e.g. for searches. When I display “Workshops” as a category through my WordPress menu bar, I display BOTH EME events AND WP posts that share that named category. (This is because I manually mapped EME’s category ID numbers to the WP categories of the same name.)

Anyway, good luck with whatever method you choose…

Anonymous
    Inactive

And here’s how I did it, just using the events_list keyword called via do_shortcode.

<?php if (is_category('Workshops')) : ?>
    <h1>EVENTS in Workshops Category</h1><?php echo do_shortcode('[events_list category=5 paging=1 limit=0 scope=this_month]'); ?>
    <div class="sep">&nbsp;</div>
    <h1>POSTS in Workshops Category</h1>
    <?php elseif (is_category('Music')) : ?>
    <h1>EVENTS in Music Category</h1><?php echo do_shortcode('[events_list category=12 paging=1 limit=0 scope=this_month]'); ?>
    <div class="sep">&nbsp;</div>
    <h1>POSTS in Music Category</h1>

Anonymous
    Inactive

in my free time i am writing a function eme_get_schedule for some days now which is an adaption from eme_get_calendar, as it seems it is the only clean way to do it. I am mostly finished with this and will post the patch, if i am finished and cleaned the code.

This approach is also less work of trying to get amr_ical to work nicely with the ical exported from eme, as amr_ical also did not have an schedule like i wanted, and it had to be somewhat scripted anyway.

Anonymous
    Inactive

the thing is, i want icons displayed if the event is in one of some specified categories. With the adaption from eme_get_calendar i can use format-string and using conditionals therein to exactly produce this effect nicely.

Franky
    Keymaster

I will happily integrate the patch when ready!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Good to hear, laevar. While you’re going to the trouble to code that up, you might want to include a “Daily” view option as well…

On the other hand, I almost wish you had gone the iCal route, becuase it WOULD be nice to have the structured categories appear in other calendars when the ICS is exported.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘How do I …’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Scroll to Top