Events Made Easy Forums How do I … TinyMCE Cyrillic character support

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Guys,

I’m running a website that runs in Cyrillic using a UTF-8 charset.

The plugin works fantastic in every aspect with Cyrillic except for the details (tinyMCE) editor.

Basically what happens is that I input text like this

Филиптур

and display on the front is иÐ�Ñ�Ñ�изÑ�изthe outputted HTML being along the lines of иÐ

The database tables (set to utf_general_ci) are currently displaying the content in correct Cyrillic.

Basically I assume that it is encoding it using the numeric function stated here

http://wiki.moxiecode.com/index.php/TinyMCE:Configuration/entity_encoding

I’ve read elsewhere on a few forums that if I change this to “raw” the text will not be encoded and will be displayed properly. However… can’t seem to find where to change that.

If anybody has any ideas that would be fantastic! Because I am at a loss to see how I can make this work.

Thanks in advance,

B

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sorry guys the outputted html is along the lines of & #184; (ignore the space)

Franky
    Keymaster

Have you checked if your database is in utf-8? I’ll try to force utf-8 by default for future releases, but converting current databases is up to the Database guys themselves (I can provide a little howto).

Edit, this is a small howto. In mysql, do this:

ALTER TABLE wp_dbem_events CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;

ALTER TABLE wp_dbem_locations CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;

(and for all other tables as well)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yeah I made sure they were all converted to utf_general_ci before I installed wordpress and the plugin…

Is there a way to remove all encoding from the tinyMCE editor? Or even is it possible to use wordpress’s built in FCKeditor instead which seems to handle Cyrillic quite well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I’ve spend around 8 hours on this already and I’m running out of coffee!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ran the two query’s to no avail 🙁 I don’t think this is a database issue.

Anonymous
    Inactive

http://trendjuice.info/bulgarian/events-3/?event_id=5 this is the page in question,

notice how the other fields are correct, it’s just the output from the tinyMCE editor.

Franky
    Keymaster

I’ll try this out tomorrow myself, just got home from work, need food and then off again 🙂

Stop drinking coffee and get some sleep 🙂

Btw: I think tinymce is the default in wordpress, no?

Franky
    Keymaster

Hi,

I just tested this here (very quick) with “Филиптур” as characters and it seems to work just fine …

Btw: the link you provided points (for me) to an almost empty page (I see no weird characters, but no event info either)

F.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sorry too much testing, screwed up the id http://trendjuice.info/bulgarian/events-3/?event_id=8

As in you placed Филиптур in the notes/details section?

Franky
    Keymaster

Yes, I put it in the details section, worked ok. Would show you here: http://www.e-dynamics.be/wordpress/?page_id=6&calendar_day=2010-09-16 , but since my DB is not in UTF-8 on this site (tomorrow), I get “?????” instead. But here at home: no prob. Even when querying mysql directly (force utf by executing “SET NAMES ‘utf8′” before any other sql select command, and it showed ok in the database.

Don’t forget: if you’re testing with utf-8, the older entries might still be screwed up. Test by creating a new entry. See also that your apache server supports utf-8.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hmmm, would another possible solution be to remove the rich text editor and insert a textarea or along the like…

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yeah created some new entries every time I changed something. Still can’t get it to work. I’m currently testing on my local server running through the latest version of WAMP so apache should support UTF-8…

How frustrating it works for you! I just did a fresh install of wordpress and started again but again I get the same foreign characters.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sweet jesus I got it to work somehow. I only wish I could explain how!

I’ll try and retrace my steps so nobody has to go through Cyrillic woes again!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘How do I …’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Scroll to Top