Events Made Easy Forums How do I … start using OpenStreetMap to replace the Google Maps we have been using?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Pretty surprised to find Google Maps suddenly not working on our event and locations pages after the lastest update. The maps appear all over our EME pages, and even seem to break some of them.

Even more surprised to read changelog “2.0.44 (2018/08/25) Moved from Google Maps to OpenStreetMap since the Google Maps service now requires a credit card etc”.

A little heads-up would have been appreciated.

Are there instructions posted anywhere on how to use OpenStreet maps with EME?

Thx…

Anonymous
    Inactive

For sample page links to review:

I had to remove the Maps call on our Event pages for now, to not affect users. But usually a map sits just above the footer: https://neohgolf.com/events/1776/turkeyfoot-championship/

Our Course Directory page, which is a Locations roster, doesn’t work at all:
    https://neohgolf.com/golf-course-directory/

Here’s an example of a broken map on a location page:
    https://neohgolf.com/locations/31/turkeyfoot-lake-golf-links/

Thx.

Franky
    Keymaster

Google never gave me a warning when they started to ask payment for the use of their maps.
    Their latest update broke the maps on several of the sites I maintain, so I needed to switch to something that works. Using OpenStreetMap should not require you to do anything different than before.
    Looking at the code on your site, it seems you’re using minized versions of code (I’m guessing some caching plugin). On your first example I don’t see any evidence of the map being called (no loading of eme_location_map.js in the resulting html source, nor the location-div in the html). So clear your cache (or disable it for testing) and try again.
    Concerning your last page, it is riddled with html-validation errors. Please fix those, see https://validator.w3.org/nu/#l252c477
    Concerning the route-form: see the changelog. Until I find something not dependent on google, I deactivated it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Google did give warning about their new reg/card requirement. I received notifications in advance. And they also made clear that you would have to use a huge amount of data to be charged for Maps calls. Fees would never affect common websites and the card would only be charged if you reached the limits.

Regardless, as I said when first submitting my question, I turned off the map call on the Event pages (which is why it doesn’t show now, but did) because those are key pages for me.

So for now I’m just trying to fix maps on all of the Location pages and on our Course Directory page (which we use as the big map with pins/links to each location offered).

I will check the html validation errors on the Directory page, but they are not from my WP page html. I’ll look through the theme CSS, etc.

Any further guidance on Directory https://neohgolf.com/golf-course-directory/ or a location page like https://neohgolf.com/locations/31/turkeyfoot-lake-golf-links/ would be appreciated. Thanks.

Franky
    Keymaster

I don’t recall such a notice from Google. Anyway, I will never give my credit card to account for possible usage of a website …
    Concerning the errors on your page: they seem html errors, not CSS specific. Use the validator and ignore the warnings.

Edit: there are 2 small EME css errors too (1 tr-property that doesn’t exist, 1 time where a “;” is misplaced). I’ll correct both for the next version, but I’m guessing your issue comes from the fact that there seem to be closing html tags (/div, /span, /p) missing.

Anonymous
    Inactive

You may be missing my point about the sudden change away from Google Maps. You made a change to the map being used simply because you personally didn’t like Google’s new policy. But Google Maps are superior to what you have chosen to implement. Google Maps functioned perfectly on our site for years, and the new ones don’t function at all. So your personal opinion about not wanting to provide a credit card to Google is now affecting the workings of my site — and I am sure many others. I think you need to give far more consideration (and maybe get feedback) on changes like this instead of simply making them. Your decision affects every user.

I have already emailed my theme’s author to check CSS and html in validator. I checked my front-end work and I couldn’t find missing end tags, but I will look more carefully again.

Thanks.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I found the cause of the error: the Fast Velocity Minify plugin (which merges and minifiesg CSS and JavaScript for pagespeed) is messing with the OpenStreet Maps output.

I guess I’m going to have figure out a setting within Fast Velocity Minify that doesn’t touch the map…

Franky
    Keymaster

Well, glad you found it. However: in the “Plugin compatibility” I specify the minify issues (in this case for WP-minify, but others probably apply).
    Concerning the switch: if I have several sites no longer working, I do something about it. If I would be charging money (or even coming close to make some kind of living) for this plugin, I would ask feedback. I asked feedback about stuff in the past, I asked for help concerning coding; icon; translations etc … I never got any reply (the translators always contacted me directly, for which I’m grateful ; and the icon comes from a fan this/last year). So I stopped asking, and I’m doing my best to provide a tool that suits the needs of the many but of course also mine. Me disliking paying google helped in the switch to openstreetmap. I considered recaptcha integration in the past but nobody wanted to sponsor it and with the recent changes by google, that won’t be happening either.
    I understand your point of view, but it is not fun for me either. I spent days getting it to work, to have my sites back to normal. I’d rather not have done that and spent my time on other stuff …
    On a sidenote: if you look at the wordpress support forum, not many people are complaining (more the opposite).

Also, it seems on your Directory Page, I now see a javascript error: $(…).dialog is not a function, seems to be due to eme.js line 69: $(‘#MassMailDialog’).dialog
    I need to check this, normally I require jquery-ui, but it seems not to be loaded on your page. This seems due to the massmail-popup option you probably deactivated, so that’s another bug I need to fix. For now as a workaround there: reactivate the option called “Massmail popup”

Anonymous
    Inactive

I understand what you are saying. Creating and managing a WP plugin is tough and not that financially lucrative. It never ends.

I restored Fast Velocity Minify and I’m trying different settings to see if any of them might work for everything. So the FVM plugin may be blocking the js load you are expecting and causing the error.

There is a way to skip deferring/minifying specific js calls, so that’s my next effort. I’ll report to you what I find…

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m also having an issue with Leaflet. I don’t seem to be having it on any of the other client sites that I have it on, but one of the first sites we used EME on is not displaying the map correctly and I’m having trouble pinpointing what can be the issue. It doesn’t seem to be displaying the skin. Here’s the page: http://www.augsburg.org/events/24/third-annual-bull-and-oyster-roast-oct-6/

I tried to turn off any minification plugins and the caching plugin with no luck. I see a couple of JS errors related to other plugins, but nothing with that. And it seems to be loading, just… not the actual streetmap image(s).

Thanks in advance for any potential insight…

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sarah, for sure it was the FVM plugin for me. Did you remember to clear the cache of your min/js plugin?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes, I did 🙁

Franky
    Keymaster

Sarah: you have several javascript errors on your site, fix those first. I’m guessing these are from your theme or your own additions (responsiveslide errors and also embed.js causes issues.
    Next to that, your location has no longitude/latitude values, so the place it shows on the map will be wrong. Correct your address for that part.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve gotten rid of all of the javascript errors and still see the same issue. I also checked the location, and there are definitely longitude/latitude values. I even checked the longitude/latitude numbers that are in EME in google maps, and it brought up the correct location. I’m not sure where you’re seeing that they aren’t there, but it’s definitely in the back end of EME.

Franky
    Keymaster

First: you still have a js error:
    ReferenceError: wiredminds is not defined

Second, if you look at the source of the page, you’ll find something like this (generated by EME):
    latitude_674437021_1535608348_7965 = parseFloat(‘0’);
    longitude_674437021_1535608348_7965 = parseFloat(‘0’);
    Meaning EME thinks the coordinates are (0,0) …
    So: check the location list (not the single location) in the EME backend and see what is reported as coordinates there.

The extra raster-lines you’re seeing are related to some css-issue of your theme. While that shouldn’t happen, it seems it does (leaflet.css is loaded though, but something in your theme style.css is overloading a property resulting in that).

Edit: looking more at that, I found a bug in EME for the leaflet (the map) css loading, it will probably not fix your issue, but here’s the small bugfix (editing 2 lines in eme_actions.php):
    https://plugins.trac.wordpress.org/changeset/1932858/events-made-easy/trunk/eme_actions.php

Franky
    Keymaster

Once you fixed the location coordinates, take a look at your theme style.css, lines 1938-1940
    It seems this is causing the weird grid lines:

.content-container img {
    margin-top: 5px;
    border: 6px solid #98822c; }

Anonymous
    Inactive

There are two entries for that particular location – both have a latitude and longitude listed in both the locations list (I right-clicked to show those columns) and the single entry. The only thing that was wrong with them was the client had entered state and zipcode under “city” all on one line, but I updated that and it still has not helped. It seems like the fact that it’s pulling 0,0 as the coordinates is the main issue in this instance – I do see now when zooming out all the way that it’s just in the wrong location – and I’m not exactly sure why it would be since from what I can see the coordinates are set. :-\

I see that the grid is being caused by the stylesheet (probably where they have put a border around images). I am not getting any javascript errors in the console of either FF or Chrome at all, so I can’t reproduce that one… But the JS ended up being a pixel code that their host was adding >.< (I really don’t like their host). I just turned it off, and from the sounds of it, it may even speed up the site.

As always, I appreciate you poking at this with me.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yep – was just about to look at that 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yep – no more grid. Just need to figure out what’s going on with those coordinates.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m going to try re-grabbing the location because the events list still has a (!) saying that the coordinates are empty (even though they aren’t when I go in to either location)…

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yuuup that worked! Even though it had coordinates, it was saying it didn’t. But it was still trying to use a location where the state and zip were entered into the city spot – so I think that’s what was breaking it. I’m going to have to tell them to make sure they are careful to enter everything into the correct fields!

Franky
    Keymaster

Glad it worked.
    If you see a ‘!’ in the list of locations, then EME as empty coordinates for those. When you then edit the event, it will retry to get coordinates (that’s why you thought they were there). Just pressing “save” would’ve solved it then probably. I’ll see if I can add a warning of some kind if the coordinates changed when opening the edit-location window.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yeah that’s what I told the client – to make sure they keep an eye out for the (!). Hopefully they won’t have that problem anymore.

Franky
    Keymaster

This will be in the next version:
    http://plugins.trac.wordpress.org/changeset/1933178

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • The forum ‘How do I …’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Scroll to Top