Events Made Easy Forums Bug fixed or feature request implemented Single location page title format not working

Tagged: 

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve tried changing the Single location page title but it gets over-ridden with the Location Name.

I read of a similar problem for event page titles here: http://www.e-dynamics.be/bbpress/topic.php?id=1788#post-6982 but there was no update as to what caused the problem.

For the record, there are no issues with the event title which works as I want it to but only on the Locations title

TIA

Tom

Franky
    Keymaster

I don’t understand this: the location name *is* the title (when looking at the details for a location), so what’s not working correctly here?

Anonymous
    Inactive

What I mean is that in the EME Settings page, there is a form field for Single Location Page Title.

Whatever I put in there does not appear in the HTML <title> tag which is what I was expecting.

The same also applies for the Single Event Page Title which I just checked as I thought it was working but it’s not. (Same as other user posted in link above.)

Maybe I’m not understanding it correctly?

Thanks

Tom

Franky
    Keymaster

I see what you mean now. No, the “Single location page title format” is for the page title (with “title” meaning a wordpress title, not a html title-tag). For now the html title-tag is always the name of the event or location in question. This due to the fact that the “Single location page title format” can contain much more info than one can put in a meaningful html title tag.

But that’s the current situation, nothing prevents you from convincing me otherwise 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ok, well PLEEEEASE can you move this to feature requests.

The reason here is purely SEO.

Particularly on the Locations page.

For example – if someone wanted to search for events at a location, I’m pretty sure they would search for Location Events (or in my case, Location Club Listings).

To be able to customise the HTML Title would (IMO) be a massive improvement.

I assume this would be fairly simple to implement and hopefully you agree there would be a benefit in it.

Thanks

Franky
    Keymaster

On the locations page (plural), I don’t change the html title, so the one from wordpress is taken. Is this not the case?

Anonymous
    Inactive

That’s correct but I’m most interested in the individual event and location pages.

In other words, what is the most likely search query for someone to find an event.

Franky
    Keymaster

Google doesn’t look at the html title tag anymore, but at the content of the page. But if you want, you can enter custom headers in the settings as well. Maybe that can help you?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve already done the headers.

Would you be able to point me in the right direction on where to look for this and I’ll see if I can find an easy solution and then give you back the code?

Thanks

Franky
    Keymaster

File eme_events.php, at around line 831, function eme_html_title:

change the line

$page_title = eme_replace_locations_placeholders ( “#_LOCATIONNAME”, $location );

to something like

$stored_page_title_format = get_option(’eme_location_page_title_format’ );

$page_title = eme_strip_tags(eme_replace_locations_placeholders ( $stored_page_title_format, $location ));

and you should be good to go (identical for events).

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Franky – that worked perfectly.

I also did the same for the Events Title as follows:

Change Line:

$page_title = eme_replace_placeholders ( “#_EVENTNAME”, $event );

To:

$stored_page_title_format = get_option(’eme_event_page_title_format’ );

$page_title = eme_strip_tags(eme_replace_placeholders ( $stored_page_title_format, $event ));

Hope this helps someone else.

Is this going to end up in the trunk or not?

Thanks

Tom

Franky
    Keymaster

Still considering it 🙂

Since it might change things for other users, it might be needed to create an extra option for it.

Franky
    Keymaster

Implemented in trunk (untested yet):

* Feature: the html title of a single event or location can now also be formatted

See http://plugins.trac.wordpress.org/changeset/574882/events-made-easy/trunk

Disable/enable of the plugin is needed for this.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Franky – this does not appear to be working with the Locations.

Was that intentional, in which case I’ll do a manual change again or did it get missed out?

Thanks

Tom

Franky
    Keymaster

Tomchubb: what exactly isn’t working? The html title with a single location?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sorry – should’ve been clearer.

In the settings page for ‘Single location page title format’ I have the following:

#_NAME Club Listings – What’s On, Event Info & Tickets

This used to work, but now it doesn’t have anything except the WordPress default Site Name

eg: http://www.plainandsimple.tv/club-listings/157/the-horse-groom/

However for the ‘Single event page title format’ I am using the following:

#_NAME at #_LOCATION

which is working as expected.

I’m sure the code changes above will fix it but I thought you had implemented in trunk although it stopped working during the most recent upgrade to 1.0.4

Thanks

Franky
    Keymaster

In fact it was an error in the commit: I copy/pasted the code for event to location, so it never worked 🙂

Fixed here (with some additional variable-naming cleanup):

http://plugins.trac.wordpress.org/changeset/609186

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ok still having an issue.

Example URL:

http://www.plainandsimple.tv/club-listings/7/the-white-house/

Expected result is: ‘The White House Club Listings – What’s On, Event Info & Tickets’

Actual result is: ‘The White House – Plain & Simple’

(In the HTML Title at top of browser)

I am using the follpwing in the settings:

#_NAME Club Listings – What’s On, Event Info & Tickets

Franky
    Keymaster

Weird, I just tested this locally and it works just fine (with your settings). You did put this in the setting “Single location html title format”?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yeah I did. And also de-activated/re-activated the plugin.

I’ve sent you a login to check for yourself if you have time.

Thanks

Franky
    Keymaster

Your setting for “Single location html title format” is just “#_LOCATIONNAME”, resulting in what you have now.

Anonymous
    Inactive

So sorry! Hadn’t noticed the new field below the old one.

Thanks for looking into it

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • The forum ‘Bug fixed or feature request implemented’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Scroll to Top