Events Made Easy Forums How do I … Share this option

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

i have installed a share this plugin for twitter , facebook etc and want each individual event to have this buttons, currently it only shows up once for all the events.How do i achieve what i need.if u visit http://proggie.ug , u will see what it does now.Thanks

Franky
    Keymaster

If you show this button in the events list, then it’s logical … but I see the button for each individual event as well, so what’s wrong?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the reply but what i want is the button to appear for each event in the event list not just one for the entire list.

Thanks

Franky
    Keymaster

I don’t know the plugin you use for the share button, but if it puts this button on every page by default, then there’s nothing I can do.

If you can use a shortcode for the button, then you can put this shortcode in the EME settings for single event format.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The ShareThis plugin gives you the option of placing buttons only where you want them or of having buttons automatically placed on every page. If you select to not have them automatically placed on every page you can simply copy and past the HTML code that appears on the ShareThis Options page wherever you want them to appear.

For example, that code can be pasted to WordPress pages or posts containing EME shortcodes to put buttons on those pages or it can be pasted various places in event and/or location format code on the Events Manager Options page to have buttons display for each event and/or location. The same code could optionally be added to the site theme to display buttons in the header, footer or side panel.

Someone who knows how to write a little supplemental code can make the buttons display or not in each of those places according to complex rules, if desired. There is a lot of flexibility and usage can range from extremely simply to complex depending on needs and site-developer programming knowledge.

To do exactly what you asked about, select to not have buttons automatically placed on each page and add the following code somewhere within the <li>... </li> tags in the “Default event list format” on the “Event Manager Options” page:

<span class='st_facebook_large' st_title='{TITLE}' st_url='{URL}' displayText='share'></span><span class='st_twitter_large' st_title='{TITLE}' st_url='{URL}' displayText='share'></span><span class='st_email_large' st_title='{TITLE}' st_url='{URL}' displayText='share'></span><span class='st_sharethis_large' st_title='{TITLE}' st_url='{URL}' displayText='share'></span>

Anonymous
    Inactive

I wanted to add that after reading ShareThis Terms of Service and Privacy statement, and especially after looking at what their code does I will not be using it at any of my websites. Because of what I learned from that I didn’t want my post above to seem like an endorsement.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks @ adminitiger for your reply , well i did follow ur options and it works fine but then again the buttons fail to pick up the real url for the event, they pick up some other url which is not totally connected to what i have.Why this?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have removed the plugin, but you should be able correct that problem by changing st_url='{URL}’ in the code you insert in the “Default event list format” to point to EME’s single event URL’s.

Franky
    Keymaster

Can’t you use a placeholder for that? #_EVENTPAGEURL gives you the url for the single event

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,

I have the same problem. I use this plugin “Really simple Facebook Twitter share buttons” and it works ok but not in the activities page. First because the buttons are not showed. If I use a code to insert the buttons it’s wrong also, because when you are in each activity the button show the url from the activity page 🙁 I try to use the new code to tell the buttom that each activity has a url, but I’m probably doing something wrong.. Can you help me? O have you any idea to put buttons of Facebooks, twitter, Linkedin and Google mail in each activity? Thanks!

<span class=’st_facebook_large’ st_title='{TITLE}’ st_url='{#_EVENTPAGEURL}’ displayText=’share’></span><span class=’st_twitter_large’ st_title='{TITLE}’ st_url='{#_EVENTPAGEURL}’ displayText=’share’></span><span class=’st_email_large’ st_title='{TITLE}’ st_url='{#_EVENTPAGEURL}’ displayText=’share’></span><span class=’st_sharethis_large’ st_title='{TITLE}’ st_url='{#_EVENTPAGEURL}’ displayText=’share’></span>

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey folks, I just went through this to get the AddThis plugin to link properly to specific EME events. Up until now it was only providing links to http://example.org/events (our EME events placeholder page).

So with a little help from http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7127578/addthis-changing-description-title-and-url-being-sent I was able to add the following code block to EME’s Default Single Event Format box. What I actually had to do was a View Source on one of our live NON-event pages where I had the AddThis toolbar, so I could grab exactly the right addthis_button “classes” to match our setup. I also chose NOT to use the “pubid” from the StackOverflow example, but copied our live pubid from the View Source as well. (Not sure, but I think the pubid is unique and used for AddThis’s sinister tracking of our site activity.)

So anyhow, here’s something you can use in EME if you’re an AddThis user.

First, go to your WordPress placeholder PAGE for the EME “events” and turn OFF AddThis for THAT PAGE. (Checkmark “Remove AddThis”.)

Then add the following to your Default Single Event Format code. I have the same toolbar button code repeated at the top and bottom.

<!-- AddThis Button BEGIN -->
    <div class="addthis_toolbox addthis_default_style "
    addthis:url="#URL_EVENTPAGEURL"
    addthis:title="#URL_NAME"
    addthis:description="#URL_LOCATION">
    <a class="addthis_button_facebook_like" fb:like:layout="button_count"></a><a class="addthis_button_tweet"></a><a class="addthis_button_google_plusone" g:plusone:size="medium"></a><a class="addthis_counter addthis_pill_style"></a>
    </div>
    <script type="text/javascript"
    src="//s7.addthis.com/js/250/addthis_widget.js#pubid=OUR_HEXADECIMAL_PUBID"></script>
    <!-- AddThis Button END -->

Obviously modify the “classes” as you see fit to match your desired buttons.

Oh, by the way, as per the StackOverflow discussion, the addthis:title and addthis:description substitutions are IGNORED by AddThis — it picks them up, correctly, from the page anyway — but I went ahead and inserted relevant EME shortcodes there just in case. The addthis:url is the only important one.

Again my thanks to Franky for a terrific (and flexible) plugin!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘How do I …’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Scroll to Top