Events Made Easy Forums Generic SEO URLS

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,

The only thing lacking with this script I think is being able to have urls like url.com/events/locationname vs location_id=6 and the same being for events…Is this something easy to implement or using another plugin?

Thanks!

Jon

Franky
    Keymaster

nope, already a feature request (and a very difficult one …)

Anonymous
    Inactive

url.com/events/locationname would be difficult, but /%location_id%/%locationname%/ resulting in something like url.com/events/6/la-maison-des-arts doesn’t seem difficult and would be significantly better for SEO.

Franky
    Keymaster

The thing is that everybody will want other types of url’s. And in a number of cases, I still attach parameters to it (which still need to be tested if using some kind of seo for events). But as with all the other feature requests: on my to-do list …

Franky
    Keymaster

Just thought about it: I could already implement simple seo:

url.com/events/6

url.com/locations/4

For single events and locations, this should be doable …

Anonymous
    Inactive

URLs like those would both look better to visitors and be better for SEO. However, a major SEO consideration for anyone with a live site is that existing search engine indexing will be lost unless 301 redirects are created for each changed URL. Many WordPress users won’t know how or in some cases be able to create them (although EME could automatically generate them with some additional coding). Even with redirects indexing and page rankings generally suffer for a while (often for months where sites are not highly ranked) after URL changes, so it is important to decide on something and stick with it in applications where visitor traffic from search engines is important.

This would be much better for SEO:

url.com/events/6/some-event-name

url.com/locations/4/some-location-name

Except for the need to convert event and location names containing non-ASCII characters to ASCII according to IDNA, those forms don’t seem much more difficult to create than simply:

url.com/events/6

url.com/locations/4

Of course, in addition to creating the URLs it would be necessary to extract event and location ID numbers from within the URLs, but that would be easy where they are always delimited by slash characters that can never occur within event or location names.

Franky
    Keymaster
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Generic’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Scroll to Top