Events Made Easy Forums How do I … Send mail on event PUBLISHING

Tagged: ,

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey Franky….

Using the code found in documentation at https://www.e-dynamics.be/wordpress/category/documentation/12-hooks-and-filters/

add_action('eme_insert_event_action','eme_mail_event');
    function eme_mail_event ($event) {
       $contact = eme_get_event_contact ($event);
       $contact_email = $contact->user_email;
       $contact_name = $contact->display_name;
       $subject_format="This is the new event called ' #_EVENTNAME '";
       $body_format="This is the new event called ' #_EVENTNAME '";

$subject=eme_replace_placeholders($subject_format, $event, "text");
       $body=eme_replace_placeholders($body_format, $event, "text");
       $blogusers = get_users();
       foreach ( $blogusers as $user ) {
          eme_send_mail($subject,$body, $user->user_email, $user->display_name, $contact_email, $contact_name);
       }
    }

I am able to get the system to send mail the second I press SAVE. Unfortunately, some events are still drafts or are private and I don’t want them sending until they publish to the public at large.

Any way to add a filter or hook to only send once published or, barring that, only send events that are in a certain category automatically?

Thanks

Franky
    Keymaster

Add this condition to your code:

if ($event ['event_status'] == EME_EVENT_STATUS_PUBLIC)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Franky.

I’m successfully using code similar to the user above – to notify my site’s users when a new private event is created. I do not want users to be notified when a draft event is created.

The problem I’m facing is that, when a draft event’s status is changed to private (or public), I need to send an email to my users (telling them that a ‘new’ event was published).

Do you think this would be possible – e.g. using ’eme_update_event_action’, but only running the function when event_status is changed to public or private? Any tips?

Many thanks! Matt.

Franky
    Keymaster

You can use the filter eme_event_preupdate_filter if you’d want for that. Just return the same $event on the end (no modif needed), and get the original event using eme_get_event:

add_filter('eme_event_preupdate_filter','my_pre_filter');
    function my_pre_filter($event) {
       $orig_event=eme_get_event($event['event_id']);
       return $event;
    }

Using that code you have the original event ($orig_event) and the new one ($event), so you can compare the status for the 2 and do what is needed if wanted.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Unfortunately I’m having trouble with eme_event_preupdate_filter.

Here’s my code:

add_filter('eme_event_preupdate_filter','draft_to_private_filter');
    function draft_to_private_filter($event) {
    	$orig_event=eme_get_event($event['event_id']);
    	print_r($orig_event);
    	print_r($event);
    	if ($orig_event ['event_status'] == EME_EVENT_STATUS_DRAFT) {
    		if ($event ['event_status'] == EME_EVENT_STATUS_PRIVATE) {
    		eme_send_mail('subject','event was draft and is now private', 'myemail@mail.com', 'test user', 'myadmin@mail.com', 'contact name');
    		}
    	}
       return $event;
    }

I’m using print_r to view the arrays for testing purposes. For the (updated) $event array, ‘event_status’ always shows the correct, updated, value (‘1’, ‘2’, or ‘5’, depending on what it was changed to). For $orig_event array, the ‘event_status’ is always ‘2’. Looking at the rest of the two arrays, I can see that other values (such as ‘event_notes’) are behaving as expected, showing the original value in the $event array, and the updated value in the $orig_event array.

I’m not having any issues with eme_send_mail.

Any ideas? Many thanks!

Franky
    Keymaster

Reason was that event_id was not given for the new event (in your php logs this would show and also your print_r of the original event would show a lot of info missing). Try this small change:
    https://plugins.trac.wordpress.org/changeset/2477870/

Anonymous
    Inactive

Quick test seems to show that everything is now working as expected with that changeset 🙂

Big thanks!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘How do I …’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Scroll to Top