Events Made Easy Forums Bug fixed or feature request implemented Paid status on Bookings list

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Would be nice to have the Paid status appear on the Bookings list… thanks πŸ™‚

Franky
    Keymaster

done in trunk

Anonymous
    Inactive

That is SO great… will really be helpful. Thank you!

Franky
    Keymaster

It still needs some finetuning though (and the price should be there as well)

Anonymous
    Inactive

re: finetuning… when I first saw the Paypal option, I tried it for a test class, just to see what it looked like. Later I unchecked it, as we won’t be using it currently.

On the Bookings report, I notice that the price I entered remains in the database… just an FYI – not sure if you intended that or not.

Franky
    Keymaster

Hmmm … indeed, I need to check the use_paypal option, for now I just checked if the price wasn’t empty. I’ll change that.

Franky
    Keymaster
    Franky
    Keymaster

Hmm … still thinking about this: maybe I’ll remove the coupling between price and paypal …

Anonymous
    Inactive

I obviously don’t know about your other users – but that would be useful for my client, as they get payments for classes/camps in several ways:

in-person – cash, check, credit card

phone – check, credit card

online – credit card or paypal (via Paypal Invoicing)

This arts center is in a VERY small town, so they are much more flexible about their terms than what you normally find in a big city. That’s part of the reason they decided against integrating online payments… they knew that even if they SAY they’re only going to accept credit cards online, for example – when the director’s neighbor calls and asks if they can drop by with cash – they’re going to say YES!

Franky
    Keymaster

I’m not going to decouple it. The reason being: if you just want a price field, you can use custom attributes for that, no?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think decoupling would make it less error prone, having the field right there in the RSVP box – but yes, a custom attribute could be used.

It’s awfully late for you to be thinking about such things… πŸ™‚

Anonymous
    Inactive

I assume a lot of people have asked for Paypal, or you wouldn’t have planned the implementation. But there must be some, like me, who won’t be using it. That would be the great question to have answered… how many will, or won’t?

Franky
    Keymaster

I haven’t had any feedback yet on the paypal implementation, so it’s guessing for me too. But personally I wanted the implementation.

The reason for the price in the paypal part was (originally) that paypal needs 3 specific characters for the currency, so I put all the available paypal codes there.

I think we should switch to a mailing list, people tend to be more responsive there …

Anonymous
    Inactive

Funny you should mention the lack of feedback… the other day I was thinking: it’s obvious from the WP stats that you have a lot of users, yet you don’t get much response from a question you pose (like your ‘name’ idea).

My thinking went a different route… looked at BB to see if there was a way to setup an automatic notification favorite – so your entire BB community would receive it. I didn’t find anything.

Perhaps a mailing list is a better idea… it does seem that there are many situations where getting more feedback upfront would be more beneficial for you – and your community, by reducing fixes after a release.

In looking back over my post last night, I realize ‘making it less error prone’ might not have been very clear: what I meant was that it would be more ‘obvious’ there, i.e., – so the client would be more likely to remember to enter the field, as opposed to remembering to click the dropdown of attributes and find Price…

Franky
    Keymaster

I looked for a bbpress plugin in the past as well, but it seems bbpress was created thinking that if you don’t send mail, people come by more often on the forum. I can see the logic in it, but I don’t think it’s very smart. Also WP themselves should provide mailing lists for their plugins (like sourceforge does, since you need to use their git), but they don’t …

I think google groups is ideal for these things, no?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I agree that WP should provide plugin mailing lists… that to me is the most logical solution.

I haven’t used Google groups, but it does look like a good solution.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Franky,

I could kick myself for making that post starting with re: finetuning…!

My small client is going to use the bookings report for several purposes and likes having the price there, so I took note of the files you changed for this (changeset/430261), and am reversing the change after every install now!

It would be great to have the field automatically display on the event backend and be available as a placeholder.

I’ve seen a few comments/questions from others about this topic. I wonder too if you might ever implement other payment gateways??? It would be nice then to not have the price coupled with paypal.

I hope this isn’t annoying… I know you said you decided to decouple – but I was just wondering if that was your last word on the topic? Or if it could at least go on your feature list to consider at a later date?

OK. I’ll stop now. Thanks for reading. πŸ™‚

Franky
    Keymaster

I decided to not decouple these, but it’s not “written in stone”. I’ll go over this again this weekend.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for your consideration, Franky.

Franky
    Keymaster

I’m going to decouple it. Reason: I plan on adding additional payment methods:

– cash (just a button that will result in “thank you, you can pay at the entrance” or so)

– bank transfer (will result in a mail with the bank account info and optional a unique “structured code”)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Franky,

As you can imagine, I am thrilled about your decision! πŸ™‚

And for what it’s worth, I also think you’re providing yourself with more flexibility for the future.

Question: In regards to the additional payment methods, would you consider also adding one to indicate ‘other’ or ‘offline’? In my 1 client’s case, the confirmation email says they can pay by cash, check or online (via Paypal invoicing) – with online being the default. If they want cash/check, they must reply to the email to specify their preferred method. Once they have paid using whatever method, the admin will mark them ‘paid’ using the Change Registration option.

Thanks once again, Franky.

Franky
    Keymaster

I might add “other” as well, thought of that myself.

But I need to do plenty of more stuff: new mail formats for “other”, “bank transfer”, …

But now that I think of this: is this all needed? In the “Registration Pending email format”, just about any info can be added:

“if you decide to pay by bank transfer, do this. If you decide for another payment, send a mail to XXX. If you don’t pay within 15 days, your reservation will be cancelled” and stuff like that.

So maybe I’m overdoing this?

Anonymous
    Inactive

As one who tends to ‘overthink’ almost everything, I know what you mean!

I agree that new mail formats are unnecessary.

Your suggestions for the text are similar to what we decided upon, and I think it’s more than sufficient! Here is ours:

“PAYMENT POLICY

Payments options are: online, check or cash. NOTE: If it is less than 5 days prior to the start date – you must pay by check or cash.

The default option is online… you will soon receive the payment invoice via email which will provide instructions for making the payment via a secure link. Some classes require a minimum number of attendees. In this case, the payment invoice will be sent after the minimum is met.

If you would prefer to pay by check or cash, please respond accordingly to this email – and we will cancel the online payment invoice. You may make your payment in person, or time permitting, use snail mail!

Bower Center, P.O. Box 713, Bedford, VA 24523

Registration is not complete until full payment is received by the Bower Center.”

Franky
    Keymaster

ok, finished this without adding new payment options. But for bank transfers, unique transfer codes are generated for Belgian banks, other structured transfer messages can easily be added

Anonymous
    Inactive

Franky,

First – thanks for your response. I’m assuming that you’ve made updates in trunk… I haven’t had a chance to load the newest version yet, but I will soon. I have been out of touch for several days due to my webhost having problems (amazing… read this: http://www.networksolutions.com/blog/2011/09/update-on-mysql-server-issue/) After dealing with that since early Saturday morning, I could SCREAM. OK… moving on πŸ™‚

Yesterday my client shocked me by saying they’d like to change the approach for payment of ‘class’ fees (we only decided upon the current approach in the last month! There is a local company who provides online ticketing for arts organizations, which we already use for concerts. Now my client wants classes to use that payment option as well.

I think it should work the way you designed your paypal option: once registered, they get a message asking if they want to pay now via this other site.

At long last… my question! Can you steer me in a direction to accomplish this? I’m assuming from looking at other posts that I’d have to use a hook? I have no experience with that, so I wanted to make sure that’s what I should be investigating before I invest the time… thank you for any guidance.

Nicole

Franky
    Keymaster

Indeed, you need to hook into the rsvp submission. See this post for a fairly real example:

http://www.e-dynamics.be/bbpress/topic.php?id=1229

Anonymous
    Inactive

In trunk, on my testsite, I was trying out your paypal option… thinking about how I will hook into our local arts payment site. I checked paypal for the event and entered my own paypal email id, registered for the event, and get a page that has only the header and event title. I’m obviously missing something, but what?

This had happened to me earlier on the testsite and I thought perhaps my version wasn’t clean – so that’s why I downloaded the new trunk last night.

Franky
    Keymaster

Do you see any errors in the apache (webserver) log? Does normal rsvp still work?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m embarassed to admit that I didn’t check the log, and I have an appointment in 45 minutes and will be tied up all day – so it’ll probably be tomorrow before I get back to this.

Yes, normal rsvp works just fine… person gets registered and emails go out.

If you have any interest in seeing this, here’s the link:

http://www.bowercenter.org/testsite/events/358/test-rsvp

Thanks Franky.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Franky,

I have tried this again and do not find any errors in the web log.

I notice another user posted a question about that typo on the ‘pay via paypal’ message, so that makes me think I’ve got an out-of-date version. But – I just downloaded it as noted the other day. Is that still how it should be working? Or did you change the approach when you added the bank txn?

I am obviously confused. I’m guessing you can straighten me out… πŸ™‚

Franky
    Keymaster

It still should work the same way, t^but the typo has been fixed a while ago.

If in fact it shows only the event title, it means a php error occurred somewhere. I need to test this, but I’m soooo busy at the moment that I don’t even get enough sleep anymore.

I’ll try to test it tomorrow using paypal sandbox.

Anonymous
    Inactive

OK… I have tested the following conditions today:

– event without paypal => works!

– event with paypal => the registration gets recorded and emails are sent out, but the blank screen persists and thus I never see the ‘your booking has been recorded’ msg, etc. Also checked the log again – nothing.

* tried with both sandbox & live paypal settings, while logged in and not logged in, and other events that are more ‘real’ in terms of the data

This makes no sense to me. I tried all these things because I don’t understand why other people aren’t having this issue and I am! I even re-installed the development version, thinking that perhaps… somehow… my previous install didn’t work. Can you tell I’m desperate.

I even tried looking at eme_rsvp.php, but my php knowledge would fit in a large thimble – so I gave up on that.

The only other curiosity I noticed is that the WP pink box about Events Made Easy displays on my testsite admin, but not on my live site. I have no idea why that is.

I know you are very busy and probably will not get to take a look at this for awhile. I just wanted to document what I have done, in case it might save you some time whenever you do give it a try.

Franky
    Keymaster

Just tried it here: works just fine. But I’m using my paypal email for the setting “PayPal business info”, not business ID. I’ll try the ID next.

Franky
    Keymaster

Nope, the ID works ok as well

Franky
    Keymaster

btw: try updating to the latest trunk

Anonymous
    Inactive

OK, just to make sure my brain hasn’t totally turned to mush, here is where I’m downloading from:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/events-manager-extended/download/

and I’m choosing the development version.

I did it just now.

I tried registering for the fated event.

Same fated result.

Then I thought… maybe it’s related to Chrome? One thing I hadn’t thought about, even though it’s never been an issue before. So I tried firefox and IE… same fated result.

It’s a good thing you’re such a distance away, otherwise you might hear me screaming.

Just kidding.

Franky
    Keymaster

Just looked at your site, and the generated html output upon RSVP submit does suggest a PHP error somewhere. Do you log php errors to disk? Check your php.ini for that:

error_reporting = E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE

log_errors = On

Anonymous
    Inactive

Franky,

I updated the ini file and tried registering several times. I’ve just sent you the log file after that effort; nothing in it looks helpful in regards to this issue – but maybe it will to you?

As an aside… I posted separately last night an issue with the phone number, which was subsequently resolved after deact/react – but it reappeared this morning! I entered xxx-xxx-xxxx, which got translated to -8726. Excerpt from confirmation email:

Attendee Information

Name: ngwagoner

Email: ngwagoner@verizon.net

Phone: -8726

Seats: 1

Comment: created log file in testsite directory

Anonymous
    Inactive

Franky,

Since nothing else seems to be making sense, I’m still wondering if I somehow have botched the install on my testsite. I have compared what’s in the plugin directory, line by line, to the extracted zip file directory – all match. What I don’t understand is why I continue to have the following WP msg displayed on all testsite admin pages, but NOT on my live site:

Warning: the plugin ‘Events Management Extended’ is being renamed to ‘Events Made Easy’. To switch to the renamed plugin: just deactivate the plugin ‘Events Management Extended’ and download and activate the new plugin ‘Events Made Easy’.

Franky
    Keymaster

The warning is pretty self-explanatory, isn’t it? I’ve added the warning about the name change in trunk, not in 4.0.1

For the phone; try this http://plugins.trac.wordpress.org/changeset/446136

The log indeed doesn’t show anything new.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes, the warning appears self-explanatory. I didn’t know the criteria for its’ display. The reason it seemed/seems curious to me is that my live site isn’t 4.0.1… I installed a development version there on 09/14, after this post:

http://www.e-dynamics.be/bbpress/topic.php?id=1499

I apologize if I’m annoying you, I’m just frustrated and grabbing at straws. It’s not your fault.

After many unproductive hours these past few days, I am kicking myself for saying ‘yes’ when my friend (director of this arts center) asked me to take over the maintenance of their website. I should have followed my intuition and said ‘no, it’s really beyond my skill level’. Hindsight.

Anyway… I tried the phone fix and it does indeed work. Thank you.

Franky
    Keymaster

Well, the next release and the name change will coincide. That’s why it’s taking longer than assumed (that and the fact that my stage play is going in premiere next week and my home renovations are just about finished).

For the phone: good to know. But as always: be careful with trunk …

For the issue with the rsvp and paypal: it is weird. Since you don’t see any php errors, it’s very difficult for me as well (since it works ok here). Maybe it’s a php version issue? The easiest would be: me having ssh access (or at least php) to that wordpress site …

Franky
    Keymaster

@ngwagoner : did you find anything so far concerning the rsvp and paypal bug?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Franky. No, I must admit that I have not even tried. After our last interchange on 10/02 when you tried it and found that I was jumping into the eme_paypal_form twice – I just figured that there MUST be something amiss with my install. That doesn’t seem plausible since I’ve re-installed, but why else wouldn’t others be having this issue? There are only so many variables, and I believe I’ve tried every possible scenario. Anyway… I thought maybe I should just wait till you do your next release – install that – and see what happens.

Franky
    Keymaster

ok, so for the moment: I’ll close this (has nothing to do with the original subject of this thread anyway) and if it happens after the release I would ask you to submit a new bugreport then.

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • The forum ‘Bug fixed or feature request implemented’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Scroll to Top