Events Made Easy Forums Bug fixed or feature request implemented Option for Simple Country Selector

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

We are finding that our users are having trouble with the country selector. We are getting a fairly high failure rate. Twelve out of 167 bookings do not have any country selected. No other fields in our forms have that rate of error.

When we are testing we find it very easy to make the wrong selection. That is not good.

We also find that the type-ahead selection is so slow that we have easily typed the full country name before the filtered list appears.

We also find that we can make selection mistakes, especially on mobile devices, that leave the field empty.

Instead of assisting data entry the type-ahead country selector is making data entry more difficult and generating more errors than any other field in our forms.

For all of these reasons we would like to have an option to have a plain dropdown selector for the country field.

Franky
    Keymaster

Do you use #REQ_COUNTRY ? That should require the field to contain data.
    The search waits 0,5 seconds before doing an ajax call to the backend, to reduce the number of calls being made. In my tests, this is not slow at all, but of course ymmv.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Franky,

Yes, we are using #REQ_COUNTRY. We’re assuming that users are using auto-fill, so we get a value, and that satisfies the javascript tests.

Franky
    Keymaster

Hmmm … weird that autocomplete should work, but that still shouldn’t leave you with an empty value as you described.
    But on the other hand, you’re correct: I should check whether the value for the country in fact corresponds with an existing country in the backend. If you could provide me with a test scenario that most definitely results in a ‘wrong’ country value, then I can test on my side to see if the code I’ll add works.

Franky
    Keymaster

This change should prevent wrong state/country entries:
    https://plugins.trac.wordpress.org/changeset/1982264/

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Bug fixed or feature request implemented’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Scroll to Top