Events Made Easy Forums How do I … More not working for me

Tagged: ,

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I am having a problem with Event Manager Extended.

I’ve been adding events in categories which do show up in the correct places but I’m also using the <!–more–> tool from the WP visual edit panel to break up the event descriptions. When the event displays in the site the ‘read more’ doesn’t appear and the whole description is there, with a line break in the position that the ‘read more’ link should be.

This is the edit event page link to one of the events –

http://johnhalldesign.com/fpcwp/wp-admin/admin.php?page=events-manager&action=edit_event&event_id=50

login as ‘public’ with a password of ‘none’

You can view the site here http://johnhalldesign.com/fpcwp/. The event is the 5th one down in the yellow side column.

I do not have access to the site templates. Any help you can give will be appreciated.

Franky
    Keymaster

The more tag is for using the #_EXCERPT placeholder, not for “more” as content.

See http://www.e-dynamics.be/bbpress/topic.php?id=391#post-1810 and also the doc: http://www.e-dynamics.be/wordpress/

Anonymous
    Inactive

Please accept my apology my lack of knowlege. As a former Cobol and Visual Basic programer my skills are way out of date but my thinking is that if I could master the early programing languages, I can learn the new ones also. Not as quickly, maybe, but with work they will come. Suggestions for easing that process are gratefully received.

I read the documentation that you cited. Can’t say that I understand it all but here’s what I did. In the /wp-admin/admin.php?page=events-manager-options page I set the Default event list format to

#_LINKEDNAME

#D #M #j, #Y

<i>#_12HSTARTTIME – #_12HENDTIME</i>

#_LOCATION

#_ADDRESS #_TOWN

#_EXCERPT

The entire event details still show. Do I also need to change the code in events_manager.php as you suggested here?

Try to change this in events_manager.php at around line 854 (in the latest version):

$field_value = apply_filters(’eme_notes_excerpt’, $field_value);

to

$field_value = apply_filters(’eme_notes’, $field_value);

If so, 1) how do I find that file, and 2) what will show me the line numbers so I can edit it.

Another factor – the site is using WordPress 3.0.1 and EME Version 3.2.12. Can I update EME before WP? Will that help?

Thanks for your patience.

Franky
    Keymaster

First: you need to make the change in the code as suggested if you want to use excerpts and have it formatted correctly (is in the next version).

Second: as the doc states: “#_EXCERPT shows an excerpt of the event (this is the content of #_NOTES until you place a <!--more--> marker”, which means that if you don’t specify the more-marker in your event, it will show everything.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for your patience with me. We have gone live with the site http://firstparishbeverly.org/ and all is working well.

Is there a way that I can have the <!–more–> marker show up in the excerpt of the event the same way it does in the excerpt of a post?

In an excerpt of a post, at the position of the <!–more–> marker , the words “Read More >>” appear and when the reader clicks on them they are taken to the single post page containing the whole post.

Thank you,

Maureen

Franky
    Keymaster

In the format where you use #_EXCERPT, create your own link using #_EVENTPAGEURL and the word “more” or so, e.g.:

<a href=#_EVENTPAGEURL>More</a>

Anonymous
    Inactive

Franky, thanks for the help. I don’t like the way that works – we get the “read more” at the end of every event diplay, whether the <!–more–> marker was in the details or not. I’m going to try to find what the WP insert details toolbox uses for the <!–more–> marker.

Franky
    Keymaster

Use an extra attribute and conditional tags to check for that attribute then, then you can choose to show the link or not based on the value of the attribute. Search this forum for examples (and the doc)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Franky,

I am having the same issue with the <!–more–> marker being ignored in my event list. I have researched every related post I could find… and finally just checked the events_manager.php code and see the above change IS already reflected there.

Here is the test site I’m working on… http://bowercenter.org/testsite/events/

The ‘more’ tag follows the first paragraph of the first event, which you can see when debugging. Same problem in Chrome/Firefox/IE.

I keep thinking this must be something really stupid, and I know you must get tired of seeing this similar issue – but I am at a loss! Thank you in advance for any help.

Franky
    Keymaster

Did you read this:

In the format where you use #_EXCERPT, create your own link using #_EVENTPAGEURL and the word “more” or so, e.g.:

<a href="#_EVENTPAGEURL">More</a>

Anonymous
    Inactive

OK, confession time! I had originally hand entered my more tag. During my research on this forum last night I noticed you pointed out that someone had a typo on theirs, so I edited my event – clicked the ‘more’ button to add the tag next to the one I entered manually. They looked identical, so I deleted the 2nd one (the generated tag).

After more research tonight I was still at a loss as my entire description was still appearing. In desperation I finally edited my event again – this time deleting my hand-entered tag and clicking the more button to generate one.

Voila, it WORKS… obviously the more button generates something different internally, but looks the same visually?

I know this is a lot of words… but thought I’d post it in case someone else has the same issue.

Thank you for responding, and my apologies for taking up your time.

I am still in the testing stage with my client – but once I’ve verified that this will meet all their needs, I will definitely make a donation.

Nicole

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘How do I …’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Scroll to Top