Events Made Easy Forums How do I … make a selector in the form to choose one date from several recurrent dates

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I would like to display a booking form for a recurring event. I want the form to include a selector that allows the user to choose which date they will attend on. They will only be able to make one selection. This is different to add_multi_booking. I only want them to select one option, not several. Is this something that we can do with the current methods?

As I’ve been looking into this I’ve looked at add_multi_booking and it describes using the recurrent_id of an event. It says that we should be able to find the recurrent_id on the event admin page. I’m having trouble locating the recurrent_id on the admin page.

Anonymous
    Inactive

When we generate a multi-booking form we get hidden input tags

<input type='hidden' name='eme_event_ids[]' value='20' />
    <input type='hidden' name='eme_event_ids[]' value='21' />
    <input type='hidden' name='eme_event_ids[]' value='22' />

I’d like a to be able to generate a selector instead

<select   name='eme_event_ids[]'  >
    <option value='20'>Aug 15 2018</option>
    <option value='21'>Dec 9 2018</option>
    <option value='22'>Apr 21 2019</option>
    </select>
    Franky
    Keymaster

If you want people to select 1 event, just use [eme_events] on a page to show the events of your interest. The multi-booking form is just not intended to be used in that way. If you want to limit via a multibooking form, you’d have to add your own jquery to that page to limit the selection and/or do post-based evaluation using the available EME filters. I recommend the regular [eme_events] with a template of your choosing 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for your suggestion. I think we are already doing that but we want to go further. At present we are using a WP page with embedded shortcodes. We have a page of text and images then we drag in the pricing, seats, location details using a shortcode.

’eme_events category=1+4 template_id=1 limit=1`

Beneath that we display a list of dates that the event is on.

’eme_events category=1+4 template_id=3 template_id_header=16 template_id_footer=13 template_id_no_events=18`

That works perfectly. Of course each date is linked to the event booking form.

What we’re being asked to do is to place a “Apply Now” button at the top of the page. We can do this if there is only one date because that makes sense. If there is more than one date for the event the “Apply Now” button will link to the first date and once on the booking form the user cannot choose the another date easily.

As I said in an earlier post, I’d like to produce a booking form which has a selector that displays all of the possible dates, letting the user select the right one for them. How should we handle this? Is the answer to modify the booking form so that we have buttons at the top of the form which allow the user to select a date. That could be done in the template couldn’t it?

Franky
    Keymaster

I think maybe eme_filterform is what you can use: https://www.e-dynamics.be/wordpress/category/documentation/6-shortcodes/eme_filterform/
    Edit: together with the just documented show_single_event option for eme_events (apparently was never documented).

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ll dig in and have a look at how to implement that.

p.s. left a review on the wordpress.com page this morning to express my satisfaction. Of course, money speaks louder than words, so we’ll post a donation too.

thanks for your help

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve added an eme_filterform shortcode to my WP page and it generates a drop-down for categories and for locations. That’s a great tool.

I must be overlooking something because I’m not able to get a dropdown for dates. At present I have [eme_events category=1+4 showperiod=monthly] [eme_filterform scope_count=24].

What should I include in my shortcodes (or my settings) to get a selector for dates?

Franky
    Keymaster

The eme_filterform shortcode also supports a template, and there you can use these placeholders:
    https://www.e-dynamics.be/wordpress/277/

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve followed the documentation and found the default settings for event list filters. I’ve also set up a few templates and created a WP test page to experiment. The combination of lists and filters works really well. I’m glad you’ve pointed that out to me we’ll be certain to use that. Thank you.

Unfortunately it isn’t what I want to achieve though it does provide a different way to get to a short list of events. What I want to do is to get the user to the application form as quickly as possible.

It seems like a common use case, to present a booking form for the event which has multiple dates and to have the user select the date of the event. Have you thought about it at some stage? I’m wondering what are the reasons that you haven’t implemented it?

Franky
    Keymaster

Using eme_events you have a listing of events (even recurrent ones, if you set show_recurrent_events_once=0), so people can select from a list of events and choose the day of their liking … the booking form is per event, not the other way around. So present a list of events where they can choose from and then show the booking form (it is just a matter of choice: first enter booking info and then select the date or first select the date and then enter the info). Since it is a recurrent event, your booking form can be the same for all by editing the recurrence itself.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘How do I …’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Scroll to Top