Events Made Easy Forums How do I … Mail queue

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Franky,

1) There’s something weird about my mail queue selections. When I open the dropdown list, I get the following choices:

Not scheduled
    Once every 5 minutes
    Once every 15 minutes
    Once every 30 minutes
    Once every 4 weeks
    Every 5 minutes
    Every 5 minutes
    Every 5 minutes
    Every 5 minutes
    Every 5 minutes
    Once weekly
    Every 5 minutes
    Every 5 minutes
    Once Hourly
    Twice Daily
    Once Daily

I do not know why there are so many “Every 5 minutes” in the list. Is this a bug or something corrupted with my data for the plugin?

2) I don’t understand the difference between “Once every 5 minutes” and “Every 5 minutes”. Don’t they mean the same thing?

3) Is it possible to set the queue to “? mail every 1 second”? I’m using AWS SES and my limit is 14 mails/second. I would like to set EME to send emails at a faster rate in a shorter time instead of waiting for 5 minutes.
    Or maybe make it such that we can set our own send rate by having a dropdown list or entering our own numbers for no. of mails and another dropdown list or entering our own numbers for timing in seconds/mins/hours/days/week?

Franky
    Keymaster

EME uses wordpress cron for scheduled actions. Many other plugins do as well, and wordpress allows to create custom schedules (instead of being able to have something queued like linux cron …). Since any plugin can create custom schedules, many get created double.
    It is not possible to schedule something quicker than once per minute, reason being that even linux servers have a granularity of at least 1 minute. If you have a plugin that allows you to create extra schedules, you could use those (but less than 1 minute will not be possible).
    Another possibility is the “sleep” option between mails (in microseconds). Currently that is 0, but I could create an option that allows to configure that (or maybe just a filter even).

Franky
    Keymaster
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I installed a cron plugin and saw that other plugins are adding the 5 minute cron jobs. I also used the plugin to create a 1 minute cron job.

Can you also “shield” EME mail queue settings from the cron jobs of other plugins, so that other cron jobs not belonging to EME do not show up in the dropdown list? What happens if I use the cron jobs belonging to other plugins mistakenly?

I’m not sure how the “Pause between mails” function works with the “Mail queue settings”.
    If I set it as:

Mail queue settings	Send out queued mails in batches of 700 Every 1 minute
    Pause between mails	100000

It will send emails at a rate of 10 mails/sec meaning 600 mails in a minute. But what about the extra 100 emails in the mail queue settings? Which setting takes precedence?

Franky
    Keymaster

It is impossible to know the schedules added by other plugins … WP is weird in many ways 😉
    Also for your question: your cron job will run until finished, I think WP prevents another one from running. I think any new schedule needs to wait. So I’d say not to make sure your mails from 1 run can be sent in one minute (in your case). EME will not send double mails, so that’ll be ok 🙂

Franky
    Keymaster

Btw: the next version will also have a minute schedule and add “(EME schedule)” to the schedules added by EME.
    Also: for minute-wise scheduling, make sure to use the system cron, relying on site visits to launch WP cron is not recommended (by me, but also in general).

Franky
    Keymaster

And more: the next version will build in a safety precaution to never surpass the schedule, so your 100 mails issue is solved then 🙂
    https://plugins.trac.wordpress.org/changeset/2781207/

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks so much for your help!

Can you give me the email to your Paypal account so I can give donations by sending it to you directly instead of going through Paypal’s donations which is blocked in my country?

Franky
    Keymaster

Much appreciated. Check your mail 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘How do I …’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Scroll to Top