Events Made Easy Forums Tips If Patching events-manager.php, Remove or Edit the Original

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

If you’re going to muck with EME code and you make backups of the older files, and one of them is the main events-manager.php, do yourself a favor and not only rename the old one but CHANGE its contents so that the “Plugin Name:” field has a different name.

I just wasted about 2 hours of my life trying to figure out why my event images suddenly stopped appearing in my EME widgets. After circling around back a few times I finally found an old post, one of the first times Franky patched something for me, at http://www.e-dynamics.be/bbpress/topic.php?id=106

Sure enough, all this time I’ve had TWO instances of the EME plugin in my WordPress Plugins panel, and recently, accidentally, deactivated the new one and activated the old one. (I had simply intended to restart the same one.)

Upon patching it back in March, I had renamed the FILE NAME of the original to “old-events-manager.php” but purposely had left the contents in their original state, which unfortunately included the Plugin Name field.

So if you just change the “Plugin Name:” in the php file contents, you can avoid making the same stupid mistake I did. Now the older plugin, while still appearing in my Plugins list, is obviously marked with OLD in its name….

Of course, I would also have avoided this mess if I had left off the PHP extension. 🙂

[I’m not so sure that there were always two copies in my Plugins list. This may have happened because I had briefly swapped the old and new files during testing recently, so WP may have picked up and cached both of them as the plugin definition of record.]

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • The forum ‘Tips’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Scroll to Top