Events Made Easy Forums How do I … How to unsubscribe from the newsletter.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Franky
    When setting up the newsletter sending, the mass mail option chosen when joining is taken into account to select the recipients of the newsletter.
    Normally you should put a link in the newsletter to allow people to unsubscribe.
    The problem is that I can’t put this link because you have to use #_OPT_IN and it can only appear in the membership form. You can use the short code [eme_change_personal_info] on a page but the procedure is a bit cumbersome.
    Is there an easier way?
    Regards
    Frédéric

Franky
    Keymaster

You can use the link generated by #_UNSUB_URL , and the mail to confirm unsubscribe is configurable in the settings (and needs to contain #_UNSUB_CONFIRM_URL to allow people to confirm the unsubscribe). See https://www.e-dynamics.be/wordpress/generic-placeholders/
    There’s also [eme_unsubform] , see https://www.e-dynamics.be/wordpress/eme_unsubform/

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,

When I use one of this solution it’s usefull for group unsubscribe and I already use it for alert to a new event or a new post. But for the newsletter what is the option user have to select? It’s not obvious. As for a mail group I would like a specific option for the newsletter?

Franky
    Keymaster

I see. Yes, that generic newsletter is only using the opt-in/out setting of the person, not a subscribe to another group.
    The unsub-form can use a template, so you can create a template that doesn’t use #_MAILGROUPS (which creates the dropdown groups to select from) and that should result in a generic unsubscribe (the massmail option will then be set to 0 and the person will be unsubscribed from all mailgroups).
    To be tested of course (I foresaw that possibility, so the code is ready to not take any mailgroups as arguments etc, but I remember only testing that a year ago) …

Anonymous
    Inactive

If you signed up on a site that sends lots of emails, like promotions or newsletters, you can use the unsubscribe link to stop getting these emails. On your computer, go to Gmail. Open an email from the sender you want to unsubscribe from.
    magento 2 development services

Franky
    Keymaster

This is in EME possible too, you just need to mention/foresee the page where they land using the [eme_unsub_form] (and the layout).
    Edit: the #_UNSUB_URL gives you an automatic unsub-form but the EME “generic” newsletter is the one exception, it was also never meant to be used extensively and only sends 1 mail per day maximum, (to alert for new events).
    I’ll check the code a little more to add a default “all” to it too
    Edit: the “All” is there when unsubscribing, so that covers the needed scenario already.

Anonymous
    Inactive

When you get to the group subscription page there is also the “all” option which removes the subscription to each group but also to the newsletter. This is not the purpose either, you should leave the choice to unsubscribe only from the newsletter and keep the groups.
    The advantage of the newsletter is that it has no deadline and will be sent out according to the chosen period, repeating itself indefinitely as long as I don’t decide to stop it, whereas if I use a group for that I have to do the programming manually (even if I can do it over several weeks it’s still manual).
    I’ll keep looking…
    The idea would be to be able to integrate #_OPT_IN in the landing page

Franky
    Keymaster

Well, the thing is that the newsletter was there before the groups … you can of course not use the newsletter at all and just use groups 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes, this is currently the case, but I would have liked to automate the weekly information.
    Thanks for the support and maybe one day an evolution of the newsletter management.

Have a nice day.
    Frédéric

Franky
    Keymaster

Well, I thought about it some more and the current method is not GDPR compliant at all. So what I’ll do:
    – create a generic setting to set a default option for new people to get the generic newsletter (default: off to comply with GDPR)
    – per user option to tune the new setting
    – the newsletter will look at this option, together with the option wether people want to receive mails at all or not (maybe the latter is not needed but since it is present …)
    – the (un)subscribe will get an extra option to (un)subscribe to/from the newsletter if it is activated/planned

Franky
    Keymaster

The dev-version now contains something like this.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Many thanks. I will test it with the next version

Anonymous
    Inactive

I tested the dev-version.
    A new option appears below “All” and above the various other subscriptions. It should be possible to translate “Newsletter concerning new events”.
    If I understood correctly, it is a new parameter which is not the Massmail option because this one remains unchanged?
    I have tested subscription and unsubscription and verified by sending the newsletter. It works.

Franky
    Keymaster

Translation is already possible, but I don’t translate it into every language 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

I translate this plugin in french and it’s 100%. I did’nt see this string “Newsletter concerning new events” to translate? am I missing something?

Franky
    Keymaster

It is the dev version. The strings you receive from wp are always for the production version …
    Edit: I see what you mean now, I’ll correct
    Edit 2: correction done in dev, give WP some time for the strings to catch up in the translation project

Franky
    Keymaster

Btw, to accomodate existing behaviour, the default setting for the newsletter option is “yes” by default now: https://plugins.trac.wordpress.org/changeset/2716697/
    Once you know where the option is, it doesn’t matter of course 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Franky
    Ok perfect, thanks a lot. It could be usefull also to test the newsletter before sending it to a lot of members. Like for generic mails

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘How do I …’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Scroll to Top