Events Made Easy Forums How do I … How modify eme_create_user function

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Franky
    The WP user is created by the eme_create_user function. I would like to modify this function to impose the following format on the display_name and user_nicename:
    First name and after a space the first letter of the lastname.
    I do this by adding the following 2 lines (2972 and 2973) to eme_functions.php:
    2972 display_name’=> $person[‘firstname’] ‘.substr($person[‘lastname’],0,1), 2973 user_nicename’=> $person[‘firstname’].’ ‘.substr($person[‘lastname’],0,1)
    But, of course, this is not perennial. Do you have a solution?
    Thanks in advance.
    Frédéric

Franky
    Keymaster

This should help:

https://plugins.trac.wordpress.org/changeset/2720265/events-made-easy/trunk/eme_functions.php

Filter eme_wp_userdata_filter allows you to set extra info for the WP user being created after a booking (if that option is set). The current EME person is given as argument (array), the result should be an array that is accepted by wp_update_user

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks a lot Franky. I was absent yesterday. I’ll look at this

Franky
    Keymaster

I forgot to add: last name and first name are set after the filter (I need those to be the same as in EME), but all the other settings can be changed/set.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think the filter hook will be call eme_wp_userdata_filter but is not yet written ?

Franky
    Keymaster

In dev of coursen see the changeset I mentioned.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have seen the changeset. But where is define the filter eme_wp_userdata_filter ?
    I suppose i have to write it in the function.php of my theme ? and I dont know what filterhook must be chosen ? eme_insert_person_filter ? eme_insert_member_filter ?

Franky
    Keymaster

You need to define the filter eme_wp_userdata_filter (that is the name of the filter you need to create) in your theme/functions.php (or use the plugin “snippets”)

Anonymous
    Inactive

When I create the filter eme_wp_userdata_filter I have to hook it to an existing hook? and what is it?

Franky
    Keymaster

That is the name of the filter to hook into. Your own function can be called anything you like, see examples here: https://www.e-dynamics.be/wordpress/category/documentation/12-hooks-and-filters/ (search “add_filter”)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well I did that
    “add_filter(’eme_insert_member_filter’,’eme_wp_userdata_filter’);
    function eme_wp_userdata_filter(){
    $userdata[‘display_name’]=$person[‘firstname’].’ ‘.substr($person[‘lastname’],0,1);
    }”

but it doesn’t work.

Franky
    Keymaster

That is not what I said, nor what the examples specify. A simple example (untested, but should work):

add_filter('eme_wp_userdata_filter','eme_my_wp_userdata_function');
    function eme_my_wp_userdata_function($person){
       $userdata=array();
       $userdata['display_name']=$person['firstname'].' '.substr($person['lastname'],0,1);
       return $userdata;
    }

Anonymous
    Inactive

My experience with php is poor. I didn’t understand because I couldn’t find it because I thought the eme_wp_userdata_filter hook had to be defined somewhere. So I will test your example. Thanks

Anonymous
    Inactive

It works perfectly. Once again, thank you Franky for your quick support.

Franky
    Keymaster

Ok, cool. I’ve already added that to the filter-doc on the site.

Franky
    Keymaster

Don’t forget: if you put it in your theme’s functions.php, it will get removed when upgrading your theme. In fact the snippet plugin is then easier ..

Anonymous
    Inactive

Do you think snippet is better than child theme and function.php?

Franky
    Keymaster

I think it is easier to maintain. But if you feel confident with a child theme: go with that, it avoids the use of an extra plugin 🙂

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘How do I …’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Scroll to Top