Events Made Easy Forums How do I … Have people apply for a (zero-payment) membership

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I was trying to set up this ‘volunteers’ database, with the membership setup.

However, I wanted to get passed this ‘paying’page by making it offline. The thing is, I can’t send an automatic message uppon registration (with an overview of what was registered). And also, somehow I want to ‘approve’ these people, before they become volunteers. There is no such thing for memberships.

Any tips on how to do this?

(I know, I have to patient until the paying option can be disabled, but I don’t get that instante e-mail message or the approvement option)

I know, I’m asking much 😛

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ha, wonderfull! Just saw the update with the skip-payment 😀 😀 😀 Thanks!

Franky
    Keymaster

Well, the option is in it, but when editing an event there’s a small issue causing the option to not be correctly loaded and thus reset. I’ll update your version to work around it (fix is already in dev too).

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oh ok, haven’t used it yet, but if it is only for events (the skip payment option), is it also possible to integrate it with membership process?

Franky
    Keymaster

Memberships have no notion of “approval”. While you can mark a member as “active”, I see no real-life use-case for memberships where you would mark a member as active without them paying for it first …
    Of course you can send them via the members-page a mail with the payment link, but why go through that manual process? Are you doing member-evaluations of some kind?

Anonymous
    Inactive

See the opening post, it’s not actually a membership, but more of a volunteer database setup (so we can quickly acces it, whenever volunteers are needed). But because they will do necessary work, we want to screen them first.

Of course, I know your plugin was not designed for this, but I was trying to make it work with the membership process. If there is not a workaround possible (without payment, but with approvement), then I’ll look for other options ofcourse.

Franky
    Keymaster

If for volunteers: then I imagine they don’t need to pay at all, no? EME can cope with free memberships without problems (just set the price at 0 and no payment options will be shown). Is that not sufficient then?
    Someone else did it using #_SEATS{1} for regular users and #_SEATS{2} for logged in users (and that second one is for volunteers to subscribe in the event to help).
    I know that currently volunteer management is not yet incorporated in EME. I’m thinking about the best options here, since for volunteers you need per event: different functions and timeslots per day, and per that function/timeslot an indication of how many people are needed (think in terms of “people behind the bar: from 9-10 2 people, from 10-12 4 people” and “helpers on the field: 9-12: 6 people” etc …).
    So I need to code this, and think about how people can subscribe to it then …

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oh that sounds cool, I wasn’t talking about a volunteer system directly linked to the event, but apart from it (people on the website can apply for it). So we can access them through EME when needed. But having volunteers next to attendees of events sounds like a great idea too!

Franky
    Keymaster

It’s not there yet, that takes a huge amount of coding 🙂
    But for now: are free memberships sufficient then?

Franky
    Keymaster

Btw: the way I do it: I work with people in EME and just add them to a group if they are “approved”. Using the extra “Field condition” when creating a custom field of type “People”, I can then show extra custom fields per person if e.g. a member of the group “volunteers”.
    I use this to keep track of the date they started as a volunteer, if they signed the volunteer agreement etc …

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes, if I set it to 0, payment options are indeed skipped! Didn’t think of that.

I understand that could take a lot of time to code. Thanks for all the help so far, appreciate it!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello Franky,

we also have free memberships, but how can they be extended? Because no payment options are available (since it’s free 🙂 )

Kind regards,
    Kevin

Franky
    Keymaster

Do you mean you have an end-date on a free membership? That is kind of illogical …
    If it is free, people can’t pay for it, so you should change the duration period to “Forever”.
    Anyway, in the backend you can still select the member in question and select the mass action “Accept membership payment”, it will extend the membership for that member with 1 period.

Anonymous
    Inactive

You are right Franky, it’s rather weird indeed.

There are 3 memberships:
    a normal for adults
    a membership for children from the age 6-17
    a free where the child can have the advantages linked to the membership of his parent.

It was the last posing problems and we cannot set it automatically to infinite because they will grow (hopefully 😉 )
    But since it’s a minority, the action can be done in the backend indeed.

Thanks
    Kind regards,
    Kevin

Franky
    Keymaster

Maybe a family membership could help there (so the “free” members are in fact just family members and then you can move them to “normal” members once they are old enough). Anyway, I’ll let you decide that 🙂

I’m thinking of implementing the possibility to send a birthday-mail too …

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sounds like an idea indeed (and worth trying it out), but since there are at the moment only a few, it can be handled manually 🙂

I vote for that! 🙂 Right now its done by another (outdated) plugin, but if it could be handled in EME as well, I am definitely pro 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Franky,

without putting any pressure, you mentioned that you were thinking of implementing a birthday-mail as well. Still on the radar? 😉

Kind regards,
    Kevin

Franky
    Keymaster

Well, I forgot about that … the fifth corona wave, war in Ukraine, global warming took my attention … And me battling the flue too.
    But the dev-version now contains this. If you want to test-drive it, check the settings tab “Other” for the 2 options related to birthdays, the mail templates and also the optional setting per person (with a massaction to be able to change it). People can also change it themselves when signing up using #_BIRTHDAY_EMAIL

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘How do I …’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Scroll to Top