Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Is it possible to create a recurring event but display it (shortcode / template tag / or via the widget) in a manner where a recurring event only shows up once rather then as a separate listing for each day of the event?

So, instead of:

Event Title

Dec 22

Event Title

Dec 23

Event Title

Dec 24

It would be:

Event Title

Dec 22 – Dec. 24

Franky
    Keymaster

Sorry, not possible for now.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Any movement on this? This is a huge frustration for my clients as it lists

out on a daily basis.

Any workaround?

Franky
    Keymaster

Already implemented in the current released version (from 3.1.3 onwards), see the showperiod option for the [events_list] shortcode (http://www.e-dynamics.be/wordpress/), eg:

[events_list showperiod=monthly]

[events_list showperiod=daily]

Anonymous
    Inactive

Cool! Is it available within the widget too?

-or- at least in a straight non-shortcode <?Php call?

Franky
    Keymaster

nope, just the shortcode. In the next version you can however use a wordpress filter to customize the list of events to your liking … and more.

Franky
    Keymaster

And: you can use the shortcodes in a widget as well, if you install another plugin:

http://www.e-dynamics.be/bbpress/topic.php?id=246#post-1144

Maybe I’ll add it to my plugin as an option as well … I’ll code it up this weekend 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

You are the man! Really liking the new changes, etc.

Please let me know. I’ll try the shortcode method.

Anonymous
    Inactive

That method worked for the shortcode but I really need it for the plugin as I list the events differently for those 2 views. Thanks!

Franky
    Keymaster

Ain’t going to happen any time soon … it generates html code for that specific view, so if you want it yourself via api calls: either call eme_get_events (with which you can do just about everything) or use the filtering provided with the next release.

Or if you’re talking about the widget: next release probably 😉

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes.. Widget listed by Monthly view.. or rolling up recurring events into one listing is what is needed.

The problem is when you have an event spanning a week..it is listed 7 times.

Franky
    Keymaster

For the [events_list] shortcode: see the option “long_events”: it disables the effect of showing an event spanning several days several times.

For the widget: you can use text widgets, so add a widget with the shortcode of your choice.

But: I added it as an option for the events_list widget in trunk, so you can now use showperiod there.

Anonymous
    Inactive

AWESOME! I will check it out.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi – first, I just wanted to say this is the best calendaring solution and so I bought you a big cup of coffee. 🙂

I tried the options for showperiod and long_events, but that still isn’t grouping recurring events for me.

I have an event that runs every Saturday and Sunday for a couple of months.

In the event listing in admin, the recurrence is shown: From 2011-02-12 to 2011-04-02, Saturday and Sunday

So when I show a weekly listing of events, I don’t need to repeat the whole thing twice – once for Sunday and once for Saturday

I know this is difficult, but is there a way that instead of:

Arizona Renaissance Festival

27 February 2011

10:00 AM – 6:00 PM

(details….)

5 March 2011

(details…..)

that the events list could show:

27 February, 5 March

(details….)

Franky
    Keymaster

Nope, it doesn’t do that for recurring events. You can try to achieve this using the provided filters:

http://www.e-dynamics.be/wordpress/?cat=41

Btw: thank for the coffee 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am new to your plugin… still only in the testing stage and training my client. Question: I just want to clarify the solution to wputler’s issue, as I have the same one. Don’t want to set everything up one way, and find out later there was a better way!

I have an event that occurs every Wed thru Sat, for a duration of 7 weeks. My user doesn’t want to see the individual days listed… wants to see 1 event for the Wed-Sat span, for each of the 7 weeks.

To accomplish that I am adding an event for the 1st week, Wed-Sat, NO recurrence.

Then I am copying that event and creating 6 more for the succeeding weeks.

Is this the best approach, or is there a better one?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Nicole

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just thought of one other FYI in regards to my previous post… my example above is an exhibit which will be on display for the full 7 weeks. The reason I don’t just put the overall begin/end dates in 1 event is that it would show up on the calendar on days that the arts center is NOT ‘officially’ open (Sun-Tue).

I would just hide those days completely – but there are some events that occur on the normal closed dates, so the full week needs to be displayed.

Franky
    Keymaster

You can choose to show events on only the first day, just read the docs first

Anonymous
    Inactive

That didn’t address my question… I understand that you can show the event on only the first day; that’s not the issue.

If you have a moment, look at this site: http://www.bowercenter.org. On the Happenings widget, the Abstraction exhibit is an example. It is displaying there, and on the Calendar, exactly the way the client wants. BUT, in order to get that result I had to setup the event as described above – individual events each week, spanning Wed-Sat. The ‘copy’ option saved me on the front end (thank you), but if I have to make any changes to the event details – what a pain!

Was just wondering if I’ve missed some approach that would have made this easier.

The ideal solution, perhaps for your wishlist: setup an event that occurs a span of days that repeats for X weeks, like this exhibit on Wed-Sat for 6 weeks.

Thanks.

Anonymous
    Inactive

OR, more ideal: rather than a recurring event… ONE event that, as in this case, begins on 07/20 and ends on 08/27 – but only on Wed-Sat

Franky
    Keymaster

I see now what you mean: the current implementation of recurring events only allows for one-day events.

Franky
    Keymaster

In trunk there’s now a new feature: recurrent events can span multiple days. Please do try it out.

Anonymous
    Inactive

This sounds exciting, but I ran into a few problems implementing the shortcodes to achieve the solution to the problem joelmooney described. When I use [events_list showperiod=monthly], I still see each occurrence of a recurring event in my event list. The only difference is that they are now listed under months. Can someone tell me which combination of shortcodes would group recurring the events the first poster described?

One more even more obtuse question: how do I try features that are “in the trunk?”

Franky
    Keymaster

Download the development version from here:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/events-manager-extended/download/

but be warned: it’s the development version. Best to try it out in a controlled environment, it can eat your computer 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

I see. Thanks! I’m such a novice at this. Maybe I should use it on my older computer!

Anyway, I’ll check it out.

I don’t know if you or someone else can recommend the proper use of shortcodes to solve the problem the first poster mentioned. When I use [events_list showperiod=monthly], I still see each occurrence of a recurring event in my event list. The only difference is that they are now listed under months. Can someone tell me which combination of shortcodes would group recurring the events the first poster described?

Franky
    Keymaster

If it is an event happening each day, it will be shown on each and every day that it happens. If it is an event spanning multiple days and you only want to show it on the first day it happens, use the option “long_events=0”.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ah, thanks for the clarification, Franky. I appreciate it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Franky,

In response to your post above (“In trunk there’s now a new feature: recurrent events can span multiple days. Please do try it out.”)… I just tried this (a bit delayed… have been on vacation) using your dev. package, and it’s not quite what I was thinking about.

You can check out how it displays on the testsite (www.bowercenter.org/testsite) where I setup 2 test events – one entitled ‘test exhibit-event date week span: w-s, recur date 1st-last, weekly, w-t-f-s’ which has the event date set to a 4-day span (wed-sat, 08/17-08/20) and the other entitled ‘test exhibit-event date 1st day only, recur date 1st-last, weekly, w-t-f-s’ where the event date is just the 1st day (wed, 08/17). All other data is the same for the 2 events – recur dates 08/17 thru 10/01; weekly, every 1 week; wed, thu, fri, sat.

The real event ‘Abstraction’ that I mentioned in my first post is also on the testsite.

Thank you for your effort, but it doesn’t address my requirement – unless I’ve missed something in how I defined the event criteria?

Nicole

Franky
    Keymaster

Your “requirement” was to show an recurrent event only on the starting day, even when it spans multiple days. That’s what I understood, and that’s what’s possible now. You need to play with “long_events” and “show_ongoing” (new feature in trunk).

Anonymous
    Inactive

Showing a recurrent event that spans multiple days, only on the starting date, was part of it… the other more major request (in my mind) was as you noted: ‘In trunk there’s now a new feature: recurrent events can span multiple days. Please do try it out.’ I believe there are some issues with this feature… it’s much more easily ‘seen’ than ‘explained’.

Results can be viewed in Happenings widget, but it’s easier to see in a separate list. Of my 2 test events above, I changed the 2nd one to a different category so it can be displayed separately (now titled ‘test camp-event date 1st day only, recur date 1st-last, weekly, w-t-f-s’)… click Learn/Camps for it, and Exhibits for the 1st one.

Exhibits ex: this one has the event date spanning 4 days. The generated events are incorrect as each ‘day’ of the event gets 4 days added to it (i.e., the 2nd day has 4 days added – so we’re into the 5th day…).

Camps ex: this one has the event date set to just the 1st day. This approach results in events on the correct days, but I can’t see how to accurately reflect that it spans 4 days, just once. The Abstraction exhibit and Keyboard classes are both real examples of this.

The Calendar is another way to get a quick, clear picture of what’s been generated.

Sorry to be so verbose… obviously brevity isn’t one of my strong suits!

Thanks for your attention.

Nicole

Franky
    Keymaster

Did you try adding “long_events=0” as an option to [events_list] for the Camps example?

For the rest: I really should see the events themselves and the [events_list] instances used, so I can reproduce it. Could you give me a temporary admin account?

My email: liedekef@telenet.be

Franky
    Keymaster

I corrected your “Exhibits” example: you had the recurrence set to “recur” every Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday each week, while the event also takes 4 days. This results in an event on Wednesday for 4 days, on Thursday for 4 days etc …

So I changed it to only happen on Wednesday and now it probably shows what you want.

Anonymous
    Inactive

AHA! Perfect!

I installed your product on the live site a few weeks ago and setup the initial events myself due to my then upcoming vacation. Today I was training my client on it, and she asked this exact question… which I knew she would. She was very happy to hear that this enhancement is in the works, as was I. Thank you very much.

I installed the newest trunk version but haven’t had a chance to play with it yet. Do you have a target date for implementation?

Anonymous
    Inactive

FYI… small glitch I just noticed… tried to logout of my testsite, and wasn’t allowed to from either the Events Edit or Settings page. The Howdy… is apparently disabled.

Franky
    Keymaster

Errr … I know of no method to disable that. Check your browser error console, I would say.

Anonymous
    Inactive

updateShowHidePermalinksPrexix is not defined

[Break On This Error] $j_eme_event(‘input#eme_seo_permali…ange(updateShowHidePermalinksPrexix);

I can’t say I checked EVERY other page, but did do several – all functioned correctly.

Did you keep your login info, so you could see for yourself?

Franky
    Keymaster

That’s something I can work with. I thought I disabled that function for now, but I’ll check this evening …

Franky
    Keymaster

fixed in trunk

Anonymous
    Inactive

Success! Thanks.

You didn’t answer my question about an implementation date for this iteration… do you have one yet?

Another thing… do you usually get any testing help from your user base? I could spare some time if you need help.

Nicole

Franky
    Keymaster

Well, I’m implementing one last feature: hardcoded permalinks for events and locations, so they don’t change if you change the title.

Once that’s implemented, I’m planning on releasing (probably somewhere this weekend).

But I can always use a hand for testing purposes. There’s one other user helping me here (admintiger), but more testers are always welcome!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • The forum ‘Bug fixed or feature request implemented’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Scroll to Top