Events Made Easy Forums Bug fixed or feature request implemented Escape characters introduced in Textarea Custom Field

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey Franky,
    I’m experiencing a strange OCCASIONAL introduction of escape characters in one of my custom fields of type Textarea. See below. The problem is that I cannot reliably re-produce it. It only happens once in a while, unfortunately.

Not sure, if this is related to the above issue or not, but I just reviewed the settings for this custom field, and there is a very strange entry under field condition – there is an empty group listed, see this screenshot -> https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqyHmqxK9rN_utF6LNlJnJY7awpBkA?e=tH1GTz
    And when I try to remove it and save it I get a critical WordPress error. See also below.

I filed this under “Generic” because I’m not sure if this qualifies as a bug or if it is something else.
    Thanks in advance!
    —-

Ulli\\\’s educational path began in 1974 with studies in art and led to training as a dance pedagogue and Gestalt therapist and then to the Alexander Technique. (…)During this time the film was made: \\\”F.M.Alexander-Technik und Alzheimer Demenz\\\” Mechthild Rickheit/Ulli Pawlas 2004/2008. … For 37 years, the Alexander Technique has permeated her life, every day and always. \\\”A technique for life,\\\” F.M. Alexander once said. For that she is very grateful….
    Currently, she published the book: \\\”Always have something to look forward to\\\” Quotes of the week.

——-
    When seeking help with this issue, you may be asked for some of the following information:
    WordPress version 5.9
    Current theme: AT Congress 2022 – NOW / Divi Child Theme (version 1.0.0)
    Current plugin: Events Made Easy (version 2.2.64)
    PHP version 8.0.15

Error Details
    =============
    An error of type E_ERROR was caused in line 75 of the file /usr/www/users/nowaaa/wp-content/plugins/events-made-easy/eme_formfields.php. Error message: Uncaught TypeError: join(): Argument #2 ($array) must be of type ?array, string given in /usr/www/users/nowaaa/wp-content/plugins/events-made-easy/eme_formfields.php:75
    Stack trace:
    #0 /usr/www/users/nowaaa/wp-content/plugins/events-made-easy/eme_formfields.php(75): join()
    #1 /usr/www/users/nowaaa/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(307): eme_formfields_page()
    #2 /usr/www/users/nowaaa/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(331): WP_Hook->apply_filters()
    #3 /usr/www/users/nowaaa/wp-includes/plugin.php(474): WP_Hook->do_action()
    #4 /usr/www/users/nowaaa/wp-admin/admin.php(259): do_action()
    #5 {main}
    thrown

Franky
    Keymaster

This is just a guess, but for the empty-group thing: can it be you had a group defined , assigned it as a condition and then removed that group?

Franky
    Keymaster

To workaround the bug: assign an existing group, save it and then unassign the existing group and save it.
    The bugfix:
    https://plugins.trac.wordpress.org/changeset/2682012/

Edit: that fix is not complete, working on something better 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

That was quick – very cool, thank you!
    I can’t quite remember if there’s been a “ghost” group, but it seems likely, like you suggested.

Nevertheless – the workaround did not entirely work, I still got the WP error when removing the temp group and leave the condition field empty.

With your preliminary bugfix, however, I was able to remove the field condition. So, all good for now.

What I didn’t quite get from your response – is the escape character issue also been dealt with in the bugfix? Or is this something else?

Franky
    Keymaster

This fix goes on top of the first fix:
    https://plugins.trac.wordpress.org/changeset/2682020/

Franky
    Keymaster

The escape characters I can’t reproduce, so I can’t fix it either 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

New bugfix installed – all well now. Thanks!

And regarding the escape characters – that’S OK; thought as much, as it only occurs sometimes. Which is the worst kind to pin down. I’ll try to keep an eye on it, perhaps I’ll find a clue as to the circumstances when this happens. If so, I would come back with the info.
    Otherwise, it’s rare enough, so that I can live with it…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Bug fixed or feature request implemented’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Scroll to Top