Events Made Easy Forums Bug fixed or feature request implemented Error when update from 2.3.28 to 2.3.29

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,
    I get this error when I update from backend WP
    ( ! ) Parse error: syntax error, unexpected token “,” in /Users/fredericmoriniere/Local Sites/voguer/app/public/wp-content/plugins/events-made-easy/events-manager.php on line 2089

Franky
    Keymaster

Weird … I’m running 2.3.29 on all my sites and no issue. How are you doing the update? Because in fact in the “main” branch of EME there was a typo that I jst fixed (but not in the released version)

Anonymous
    Inactive

I did from WP backend of my site vogue-et-reve.fr. I get this error when I check if there is an update :
    Could not determine if updates are available for Events Made Easy.

GitHub API error. Base URL: “/repos/:user/:repo/branches/main”, HTTP status code: 403. puc-github-http-error
    Could not retrieve version information from the repository. This usually means that the update checker either can’t connect to the repository or it’s configured incorrectly. puc-no-update-source

On my local install I can check but if I do the update I get the error above

Franky
    Keymaster

On your site vogue-et-reve.fr : is it allowed to connect to github?
    On your local site: how do you do the update there? It should use the latest released version, not main.

Anonymous
    Inactive

When I replace the 3.2.28 files with the 3.2.29 files on my local installation, everything works fine afterwards. I will do the same with Filezilla on my production site

Franky
    Keymaster

Don’t forget to use the “Release” version: https://github.com/liedekef/events-made-easy/releases

Anonymous
    Inactive

I did on the real site. No pb and I use now the 2.3.29 but when I check if there is an update, I get this error :

GitHub API error. Base URL: “/repos/:user/:repo/branches/main”, HTTP status code: 403. puc-github-http-error
    Could not retrieve version information from the repository. This usually means that the update checker either can’t connect to the repository or it’s configured incorrectly. puc-no-update-source

Franky
    Keymaster

Well, that probably means your site is not allowed to connect to github. Some firewall on it?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes WordFence

Franky
    Keymaster

Then make sure to configure it to allow your site to connect to github too 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

Could you help me ? What URL and parameter I need to indicate in the firewall of wordfence ?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have put the wordfence firewall in learning mode but the problem is still there

Franky
    Keymaster

I’ll install wordfence here too but I’m guessing wordfence has nothing to do with it (it is more to stop malicious incoming traffic in wp). Do you have a firewall on your server itself (outside of wordpress)?

Franky
    Keymaster

Btw: I tried with wordfence on my local setup: no issue. Also on 8 sites I manage (several different hosting providers): all work as expected.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I know your are right. On an other site with the same hosting providers all (update EME) is fine. But what is wrong on my site vogue-et-reve.fr ? or how to find it ?

Franky
    Keymaster

Any logfiles that might be useful?
    Do you have a firewall on your server itself (outside of wordpress)?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have desactivated the hosting provider firewall. I wonder if this error message :

is “/repos/:user/:repo/branches/main” correct?
    is there a specific key that I could check?

I will look at my logs again

Franky
    Keymaster

Well, the message is from the library checking for a new version. But since it works for your other sites, the error seems “ok” then. I’d look in the firewall logs or maybe ask your provider. If you want me to take a look, feel free to send me the login details.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m still looking and will let you know if I make any progress

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for offering to take a look. I’ll give you admin access to my site where you always have an account. I will send you a link to reset your password.

Anonymous
    Inactive

2a01:cb18:3e6:7a00:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxx vogue-et-reve.fr – [01/Jan/2023:20:57:59 +0100] “GET /wp-admin/plugins.php?puc_update_check_result=error&puc_slug=events-made-easy HTTP/1.1” 200 45363 “https://vogue-et-reve.fr/wp-admin/plugins.php?

This is the only line in the log of my provider. No line in the error.log

Franky
    Keymaster

Well, admin access to the wp setup is not sufficient, since the block is not there. When you ask for an update check, it is in fact your webserver (via php) that connects to github.
    The log you showed is just your request for update check, nothing more. But the block is from your webserver to the outside, so we need to check on your hosting part.

Btw: there was a bug in the plugin update checker where it downloaded the “main” version, not the released one, this explained why you had the bug with the typo during a release (the typo was in main but not in the released version). I fixed this now in a new release (and created a bugreport+fix at the library doing the update checking).

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks a lot for the check. I will see tomorrow with my provider

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have updated by uploading EME.zip 2.3.31. For information, here is the new message obtained after the check.

GitHub API error. Base URL: “/repos/:user/:repo/releases/latest”, HTTP status code: 403. puc-github-http-error
    GitHub API error. Base URL: “/repos/:user/:repo/tags”, HTTP status code: 403. puc-github-http-error
    GitHub API error. Base URL: “/repos/:user/:repo/branches/master”, HTTP status code: 403. puc-github-http-error

Franky
    Keymaster

Well, the message still shows the traffic to github is blocked on your server 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

I checked the rights on the directories, but this lead did not work. I removed the security and cache extensions. No change either. When I click on “View details” the answer is “plugin not found”. I have filed a ticket with my host (shared hosting) but no return for the moment. For the moment I am doing the updates manually by downloading EME.zip and it works.
    Have a nice day
    Frédéric

Franky
    Keymaster

“View details” also connects to github btw. As said, it is most probably a limit/firewall set on your host.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hy Franky
    I have 2 sites in production with the same host plus one local site. I disabled the firewalls of the host on both production sites. On one of the 2 sites I uninstalled Wordfence and the EME update then worked. On the local site I still have Wordfence and the update there works. When I uninstall Wordfence on the second production site the EME update still doesn’t work. This is not very consistent, what do you think?
    It still seems that it is not coming from my host.
    Maybe a bad installation of EME. I’m hesitant to uninstall EME and reinstall it because I’m afraid of losing my settings and data.

Anonymous
    Inactive

30′ later, the production site where it was working (Wordfence uninstalled) also now has an update error even though I haven’t changed anything. I don’t understand

Franky
    Keymaster

It has nothing to do with EME (and certainly not a bad install of it). The error points to something blocking access to github and you need to figure out what. It is most probably not related to wordfence either (since that is more to check/block incoming requests).
    As said: your hosting provider can probably assist you.

Franky
    Keymaster

Any feedback from your hosting provider?

Anonymous
    Inactive

unfortunately not. It is a shared hosting on OVH with little support. They replied by telling me to get a webmaster and closed the ticket. I reopened another one but no return. It’s weird, especially since on one site it worked for a while

Franky
    Keymaster

I guess it means you can configure/check it in your OVH hosting panel. I don’t know OVH myself though … I guess their support level is based on the price you pay 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes, of course I logged in. I removed all firewalls from it but no change. I am less comfortable with the DNS configuration and the log files don’t show me anything conclusive. Yes, low price=low support

Franky
    Keymaster

I’m sorry then, but I can’t really assist in OVH issues here. Do you have ssh-access to that server?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes I have

Anonymous
    Inactive

I can send you, if you wont, the export .xml of the login for filezilla

Franky
    Keymaster

weel, via ssh I could check if the github connection is blocked on your server or actually only in wordpress. So if you really want, I can check at least that …

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • The forum ‘Bug fixed or feature request implemented’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Scroll to Top