Events Made Easy Forums How do I … EME vs EM3.0 comparison?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

hi there. I’ve recently inherited an old version of EM (it’s version 2.0x), and I’m looking to upgrade. Looks to me like I have two choices, EME and the new version (3.0x) of vanilla Events Manager. I’m wondering how the two compare in terms of

current glossiness/bugginess of code

how much work is currently being done on the code

how big is the dev team?

how strong is the user community?

features compared?

what’s the upgrade path from where i am now?

I’m sure this has been discussed a lot already. I’d welcome any links, charts, or thoughts.

Thanks.

Franky
    Keymaster

See here: http://www.e-dynamics.be/wordpress/?page_id=2

For the moment I’m coding this up alone (EME) while I believe the EM developers are with 2. They’ve moved to 3.0 and OO but sometimes still fix old bugs because of the code legacy. I reported many bugs to them before forking.

I believe EME to be quite bugfree, check the open/closed bug reports for this.

In features: I don’t know what new features EM 3.0 has come up with, but EME has a very long feature list. I’d suggest to read the changelog for this as well: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/events-manager-extended/changelog/ The changelog will also prove that EME is very much alive.

The upgrade path: if you have 2.2, it should upgrade without issues to EME 3.x, I can’t speak for EM here.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Looks to me like I have two choices, EME and the new version (3.0x) of vanilla Events Manager. I’m wondering how the two compare …

I wondered the same thing a few weeks ago. I didn’t have an old installation to upgrade. I am developing a new website and could have used either. However, I didn’t want to spend time developing around one and then later decide that I should have gone the other way.

I installed both plugins at a couple of test websites, compared features, looked at some of the PHP code, read past forum posts both here and at the other support forum, and decided on EME.

I am not concerned that Franky is the only current developer for several reasons. His responsiveness is outstanding and better than typically found even with a large development team. EME is a significant project that isn’t apt to be abandoned even if something should happen to Franky. It is perfectly usable at its current stage of development, even if nothing further is done. It is true that currently unknown bugs may be found, but they are apt to be minor. It also is true that EME might need to be modified to be compatible with some unpredictable new version of WordPress.

However, I don’t worry about any of that, because it doesn’t seem likely that Franky will drop the project any time soon. Even if he does, I am a coder and can fix my own problems if necessary. Furthermore, others probably would step forward to at least keep EME usable.

I continue to think that I made the right choice.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘How do I …’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Scroll to Top