Events Made Easy Forums How do I … Create "child/sub-events"

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey guys,

is there any way to create kind of a “child-” or “sub-event”?

A dear friend of mine is a judge at a small team of audio enthusiasts which host local contests. Each contest has 8 different classes with 10 slots max in which participants can take part in.

What I’m trying to achieve for him is that he creates one event (or event series) and when each participant registers his/her slot in the contest, he/she should be able to:
    – register for 1-8 categories
    – doesn’t need to re-enter all data, because registration information is attached to the user account (or a registration profile, maybe?)

I tried creating such child-/sub-events by adding custom registration form fields. But how to connect them to different classes for CSV export, participants overview, etc.?
    And how to save registration data for future events?

Thanks in advance,
    Martin

Franky
    Keymaster

If you’re logged in, then the last/first name and email are pre-filled in the rsvp form.
    Concerning the rest: maybe try a multibooking form (where you can register for multiple events at once), see http://www.e-dynamics.be/wordpress/?cat=5968

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the quick reply, Franky! 🙂

Yes, those three fields are filled out automatically. But I do need to extend this to approximately 6-7 fields.

Doesn’t a multi-booking form also require multiple events? My friend requires only one single event within the calendar and for which he needs to write texts, upload images, etc.

Franky
    Keymaster

Ok, I misunderstood you then (the sub-event thingie).
    Now the other registration info is stored per event/rsvp, not per user. This might seem weird to you, but how could I determine which rsvp info to take from a previous event when registration is done for a new event?
    To help you along: there are browser plugins that autocomplete forms …

Anonymous
    Inactive

No problem. I’m glad we could sort it out. 🙂

Regarding your question: that information shouldn’t be taken from previous events. Instead, I want to add such information to the user’s profile and EME should query it just like (first) name and mail address when displaying the event registration form to a logged in user.
    This would feed the auto complete issue as well.. 😉

I thought that custom attributes (http://www.e-dynamics.be/wordpress/?cat=29) might do it. Am I right or wrong?

Franky
    Keymaster

Custom attributes are for events, not for the rsvp form
    The thing is: what if that info is already in the profile and the user wants to change it? Custom profile fields need to be programmed too, so it is not that simple.
    I think I understand what you’re trying to do, but the plugin needs to be generic in a solution, not specific. In your case: a solution would be to check the user profile for similar named fields and use those as auto-completed info (maybe by adding some prefix to the placeholder to indicate that we want the user profile to be checked). But: not possible right now.
    Another possibility is for you to code that part up by using the available filters/hooks upon rsvp form submit.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sorry for the delay. In the meantime, I’ve dropped WordPress completely and built the platform on my own. It’s almost fully working and definitely more towards what those guys desired. 😉

Nonetheless, thanks for your extensive help and a great plugin (which has to focus on mainstream needs instead of specific ones which I totally understand).

Regards,
    Martin

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘How do I …’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Scroll to Top