Events Made Easy Forums How do I … Change Page Title in Browser (META Title)

• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Awesome plugin!

Is there any way to change the title of the page for the browser (ie meta title)?

Right now each individual event just displays “Events” instead of “Post Title Name” in a browser (Firefox, Chrome, etc.) and that’s how it will show up in search engines too.

Would love to know if I’m just skipping over something or missing something – or could someone direct me where to change it?

Franky
    Keymaster

I’ll check the meta tag question later on, but search engines index based on meta tags (in the past) *and* content. Also, when displaying a search result, regular search engines a la google never show meta tags as a result, they show the excerpt of the html based on the text you searched for.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Search engines expect webpages to have unique meta description and title tag fields. The “Google webmaster tools” “Diagnostics” section lists “Pages with duplicate meta descriptions,” “Long meta descriptions,” and “Short meta descriptions” found during recent Googlebot crawls so developers can know the pages that need to be fixed.

It also lists pages with “Duplicate title tags,” “Long title tags,” Short Title tags”, and “Non-informative title tags.”

Failure to comply does not prevent pages from appearing in Google search results, but I know from years of experience that fixing those types of problems tends to improve search result rankings.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I understand the indexing part, but say we have 5 events all indexed for searches – ALL of the titles would be the same. I’m talking about <?php wp_title(); ?> not <?php the_title(); ?> e.g.

“Events – Sitename”

Meta Description

“Events – Sitename”

Meta Description

“Events – Sitename”

Meta Description

instead of being unique to each page. There’s usability to factor in as well, when someone browses to an individual page I believe it should show the title of the post in your browser’s window, and not be a sitewide title tag.

As it is, all of my individual events only say “Events – My Site Name” instead of “Event Name – My Site Name.”

Still though, this is an AWESOME plugin! If anyone has a hack or a workaround please let me know – thanks!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘How do I …’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Scroll to Top