Events Made Easy Forums How do I … Captcha Image disappeared

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi there

On my customized booking form I’ve been using the captcha option. It all worked fine up until today.

-> php-gd support is still working

The captcha-image doesn’t get created/shown anymore. In the HTML-code I only get a source-attribute looking like that

src=”?eme_captcha=generate&f=5d22fe3c3e0bf_a8029e5af9e5bf665be9014a7ea383a5&ts=1562574396”

Do others have the same problem? Is that releated to the recent update of EME?

Thank you for your input.

Franky
    Keymaster

Demo page? And what placeholder are you using to show the captcha?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you for the quick reply.

I’m using solely the #_CAPTCHA placeholder (not the deprecated CAPTCHAHTML)
    … (cut)
    <div class=”twelve columns”><label for=”captcha”>Sicherheitscode</label>
    #_CAPTCHA</div>
    </div>
    #_SEATS
    #_SUBMIT
    … (cut)

DEMO-PAGE: https://www.sensus-academy.ch/events/?event_id=3

Additional info: I installed the Google reCaptcha-plugin recently. But I deactivated it and the problem still exists. So I don’t think it does interfere somehow with EME.

Franky
    Keymaster

I’m guessing something is blocking access to the captcha url, you should check your webserver logfiles for more info …

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ok. Thanks. Will check.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I could solve the problem by changing some coding in “function.php”.
    I still don’t know what EXACTLY created the malfunction. I’ll figure it out though.

Anyway, thanks Frank.

Franky
    Keymaster

And what exactly did you change? Because your change will be gone with the next plugin update.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Not talking about “eme-functions.php” of your plugin.

I was applying some changes in “functions.php” of WordPress.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have the exact same problem as you mickey.
    The image does not get generated. Any clue on your end?
    Thanks!

Franky
    Keymaster

The only way the image doesn’t get generated is if the php extension gd is not loaded, or if you haven’t activated the EME option to use the captcha for forms (in the EME options, tab “General”).

Anonymous
    Inactive

Me too, it happened I think 2 EME updates ago, it wasn’t like this in december/beginning of january.

I just removed the captcha alltogether and enabled the ‘honey pot’ feature. Hope that helps, no spams as of yet.

Franky
    Keymaster

The captcha should work just fine. EME detects if php-gd is installed and active for it to be used, but otherwise I don’t see a reason for it not working.

Franky
    Keymaster

@G_Woman : any info on the captcha? If possible/wanted: give me temp access to some test site or so, so I can see if something easy needs fixing.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sorry, just read your comment. Send you the temp access.
    Could it be, btw, that your CAPTCHA registration is unvalid? I read somewhere that Google gives this x-amount of tries, after that it blocks the captcha. Or maybe I’m just saying nonsense, :-S

Franky
    Keymaster

The captcha is not google-related, so it is not invalid.
    I checked your theme: it inserts an empty line at the top. I edited the header.php file and removed the empty line, but I assume some caching is still going on as the empty line remains. If you can clear the cache (or remove the empty line in the theme if not in header.php) then the image will appear just fine.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oh ok, my bad.
    I couldn’t see that blank line in header.php anymore. And it still shows the broken captcha.
    I didn’t know I could remove cache from my website? I installed a plugin, but it couldn’t remove any.

Sorry, how to do that? I already removed cookies from my webbrowser.

Franky
    Keymaster

Well, in the html output the empty line is still present. I’m not sure who’s generating that line …
    I edited the EME plugin to hook into wordpress even earlier (there’s a hook called “init”, but apparently setup_theme comes before that and also before the theme gets loaded). This seems to resolve the empty-line issue causing the image not to show.

Franky
    Keymaster

Due to the fact that some themes/plugins add an empty line at the top of the html output rendered, this renders programmatically rendered images unusable. I’m now moving that action higher up the chain (before the theme is even being called), so this should work better. I’m still evaluating the possible issues with this, but it is looking ok so far.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well, that sounds very smart to me, even though I don’t quite understand it. Great work as usual! It’s working perfect now!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I feel that getting rid of this captcha procedure and investing in recaptcha integration will greatly reduce your time in supporting this outdated feature. 😉

Franky
    Keymaster

recaptcha has other limitations: first of all, it is a google product with usage limits (the same reason why I switched to openstreetmap in the first place). Second: it has issues with multiple forms on one page (which is requested to be possible). Basic code is in place, but I’m reluctant to spend time on that if the second issue can’t get resolved …

Anonymous
    Inactive

Seems you can have multiple recaptchas on one page. You just have to put multiple div elements for the recaptchas and render the recaptchas inside them explicitly.

REF: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1241947/how-do-i-show-multiple-recaptchas-on-a-single-page#answer-28126317

Hoping this helps

Franky
    Keymaster

Well, it took me some hours but I think I got the recaptcha working (only v2 with the checkbox, otherwise too much playing needed with javascript).

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sorry Franky, was that a reply on my question in another thread? I read your words like 3 times, but couldn’t process them. I’ll try again this evening, hopefully then I understand what you are explaining.😂

Franky
    Keymaster

I moved it to the correct thread, sorry (it is your other thread about memberships).

Anonymous
    Inactive

Np, I would also get confused by a user opening 23538534543 threads XD

Anonymous
    Inactive

Can you confirm the exact procedure to put in place a Google Recaptcha?
    Thanks!

Franky
    Keymaster

Create your google captcha v2 tickbox keys in google, add those in the EME settings and use #_RECAPTCHA in your forms.
    The next version will add #_RECAPTCHA automatically if not present in your form where needed, so you can always download the dev version too …

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • The forum ‘How do I …’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Scroll to Top