Events Made Easy Forums Generic Calendar widget disappears while advancing

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Similar problem to #303. I’ve installed EME in a WP3.0.4 site using the Twenty Ten theme. The EME calendar widget disappears when I click on the << or >> links.

I’ve disabled the other plugins and the problem persists.

I use the Dynamic Widgets plugin heavily, but for now I’m not using it on the EME widget (it’s static). The widget does not share the Primary Widget Area with any other widget.

How do I fix this?

Franky
    Keymaster

If it disappears, then there’s a problem getting the data from your server using jquery. What’s the url?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Franky
    Keymaster

Calendar widget works fine for your site here …

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well, not for me — I just tried it on two different computers and it’s doing the same thing on both. I can bring up individual events, but I can’t move the calendar forward from January to February.

I run Win XP Pro on both computers. One has IE8, the other IE6.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I just tested your calendar from here and found that it advances month-to-month using Firefox or Google Chrome, but disappears when a month navigation arrow is clicked using Internet Explorer 6, 7 or 8.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am about to leave for dinner and don’t have time right now for much troubleshooting, but I looked at the HTML source before and after clicking the next month arrow and found that the calendar is in the source after the click even though it doesn’t display on the screen. The problem therefore is probably an Internet Explorer styling incompatibility.

Franky
    Keymaster

Tx for the IE testing, admintiger! I really should get something with IE as well, but I don’t like windows …

Anonymous
    Inactive

I put an Events Calendar widget in the Primary Widget Area of a test site that has the Twenty Ten theme (although it is a new beta-test Twenty Ten v1.2 that hasn’t been release yet) and it works fine with IE 6, 7 and 8.

I am not familiar with the Dynamic Widgets plugin, but I suggest that you temporarily deactivate it to see if it is causing the problem. If it is not the cause, I suggest that you temporarily deactivate all other plugins as a test.

Are you using custom CSS styling with any plugin, widget or other add-on software?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have done a little more investigation of this issue and have found a couple of potential problems:

• GoDaddy displays your site within an iframe. Each time the calendar month is changed your site is nested more deeply within an additional iframe. Internet Explorer treats iframes substantially different than most other web browsers, both in regard to styling and cross-domain security rules. Your problem could be due to nested iframes.
    • GoDaddy loads JavaScript code at the bottom of your pages. I haven’t studied it to see exactly what it does, but there is a potential for conflicts with WordPress or EME functionality.

If the tests I suggested in the post above don’t identify the problem, I suggest that you move your site to a standard web server that doesn’t display it within nested iframes or add JavaScript code to your pages.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I turned off the plugins when I did my initial troubleshooting, and it didn’t fix the problem. They’re back on now so the rest of the site isn’t broken.

I haven’t changed the theme at all or done any custom CSS styling, other than whatever the plugins might do behind the scenes. I wanted to leave the theme alone so it wouldn’t get reset in the next upgrade.

I have this on the free-hosting site while I get it built and settled. I didn’t want to nuke my existing site with a work-in-progress and I didn’t want to pay for a year of full hosting for a test site.

Could the problem be caused by something in the current version of Tenty Ten that’s been fixed in V1.2?

Franky
    Keymaster

No, the current released version of Twenty Ten works just fine.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I doubt that changes in the new Twenty Ten theme have any relevance to this issue. I tested EME rather extensively using the WP 3.0.n version of the Twenty Ten theme before upgrading to various beta test versions of WP 3.1 and didn’t have the calendar widget problem you are having.

Why not install WordPress in a directory of your main website for development and testing? I installed it that way a couple weeks ago at a huge and very active website I have been running for years. It runs fine that way. It isn’t linked from the main website, so visitors and search bots don’t know it is there. When development is finished I can leave it in that directory, but reconfigure it to run from the website root, or I can move it to the root.

Testing that way has the added advantage of utilizing the same web server and versions of PHP, mysql, and other things that will be used in the end, so you can be confident that everything is fully compatible and working correctly before going live. I have my own web servers and can easily create any number of test websites, but even so, I have found over the years that it generally is better to develop in a directory. I do that not only with WordPress, but also with phpbb and other packages. It is especially appropriate and even necessary at large sites that use WordPress, phpbb and other packages together.

Of course, you will need to ask your web host to create a mysql database for WordPress unless you have the ability to create one yourself. Beyond that, just create a new directory with any name you like, put WordPress in it as though it was the website root, open /your-directory/wp-admin/install.php in your web browser and WordPress will install and run fine. Then install the EME plugin and I think you will find that the calendar widget works with Internet Explorer as it should.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Okay, thanks for looking this over.

I tried some time ago to run pre-V3.0 WP in a subfolder of my active site and it didn’t work. While I was trying to figure out why, I got the impression that sort of thing wasn’t supported, so I didn’t pursue it any farther. It’s coming to be time to go live with the WP version of the site anyway, so I’ll probably go with that and see if the EME problem goes away.

Thanks for your help.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Generic’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Scroll to Top