Events Made Easy Forums Bug fixed or feature request implemented Author & Contributor Event Location Entry and Editing Rights

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

WordPress Authors and Contributors can add and edit events, but not event locations. It seems that someone who is authorized to add and edit events should be allowed to add and edit event locations, especially considering that new events often may be at new locations. I put this under “Feature requests,” but it is arguably a bug.

Franky
    Keymaster

Well, not a bug, but by design: a location can be added by adding a new event (even by authors and contributors) but since a location can be used by more than one event, you need Editor rights to edit them.

Locations also have no concept of the person creating them (like author of an event) …

I can of course add this as an option, but this requires quite some code changing.

Franky
    Keymaster

btw: I am integrating the first bits of this already 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

Your concern that the same locations can be used for events entered by others is valid. However, unless the Event Manager option to allow locations to be selected from a dropdown list is set, slightly different location information results in multiple entries for the same locations. I tried to use EME that way for a while and the result was a mess of near-duplicate location entries.

A more flexible alternative to giving Authors and Contributors the same EME rights would be to allow Authors to add and edit both events and locations, but to restrict Contributors to only events. Then Admins could decide which to allow.

However, none of that works in my application. I need to be able to grant rights to enter events and locations while denying rights to add or change pages, posts or anything else other than user profiles. (an EME role) Other EME users probably need the same thing. I realize providing that functionality in that way probably wouldn’t be easy, so I have been thinking about significantly different alternatives I could implement on my own to meet my own needs.

Anyway, over the short-term it would be useful to have Author and Contributor rights be different.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I see little benefit in forcing admins to select between allowing location selection from a list or requiring entry of location information. Why not give those authorized to enter events the ability to either select from a list of existing locations or enter new locations where locations do not already exist?

If qtranslate plugin compatibility is the issue, why not change the Event Manager Option choice to be qtranslate compatibility or not with a note explaining that qtranslate compatibility will limit event location specification to selection from a list of existing locations?

Franky
    Keymaster

The select is an old thing from Events Manager, and some people want it. So it stays (until I find a better way of representing it).

But: when you type in a location name, there’s a jquery that shows all corresponding locations.

Regarding qtranslate compatibility: it’s more than that. If you enter a new location name (assuming qtranslate is installed and there’s no dropdown for locations) when creating an event, the location will get created. But upon editing the location info, the location name gets translated as well, thus in fact changing the location name. And then, when editing the original event will again create a new location, because the old name is no longer found … It took me considerable amount of effort to get EME to be qtranslate compatible, so I’m not going to break it now. But I will however look into the rights concerning location editing (started already).

Anonymous
    Inactive

What about providing three Event Manager Options – the two that exist now plus a third that gives those authorized to enter events the ability to either select from a list or enter new locations where locations do not already exist? That would not affect existing users who like what they have or break qtranslate compatibility while providing what seems to be the best option in most applications.

(The jquery feature that shows all corresponding locations only works if someone starts an event name the same way as it was previously entered. For example, it fails if a location was previously entered as “La Maison des Arts” and someone types “Maison des Arts.”)

Franky
    Keymaster

Original request implemented in trunk: locations have an author now, and the rights management is complete as well: people can be assigned the right to add, edit own or edit all events.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Bug fixed or feature request implemented’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Scroll to Top