Events Made Easy Forums Bug fixed or feature request implemented All custom fields empty after update

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Franky,

It seems I ran into quite a serious bug: after updating to the latest EME version (2.2.41) all my custom fields turned up empty! All submitted data was gone, both in past and future events.
    Restoring to the previous EME version did not restore the data, fields remained empty. I had to do a full site and database restore from my backup to recover the data.

Custom fields still show up in the admin and on the site, but empty.

Data vanished immediately after updating, without me saving or altering anything else, so it seems the database is directly affected by the update.

Can you shed any light on this? And hopefully fix it?

Franky
    Keymaster

Errr … what do you mean with “custom fields empty”? Which ones/where? In the events themselves you mean? Or per booking?

Franky
    Keymaster

And: from which version did you update?

Franky
    Keymaster

Btw, I checked the code and I didn’t touch the custom field answers database tables in the last 7 months, so …
    Did you check your php error logfiles? Maybe something went wrong during the update?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wow, that’s a quick response! 😉

I upgraded from version 2.1.122.
    I have set custom fields for Events, containing info about church services such as preacher, theme and offertory. After update all contents were gone, fields are blank in admin and on the site.
    I can re-submit info, they are stored and appear on the site. But everything submitted earlier in these custom fields is gone.
    It’s just the custom fields, all other info remained in place.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I haven’t checked the logfiles, but it happened twice so I guess it’s more than an accident. After restoring the backup I tried again and the same thing happened.

It’s past my bedtime now, but tomorrow I’ll try on another site where I have EME installed with custom fields (and needs an update), and see if the same thing happens.

Franky
    Keymaster

No, it is a bug there. I’ll update and release once I’ve tested some more (fix already in dev).

Anonymous
    Inactive

You’re the best! Many thanks!

Franky
    Keymaster

Are you in a position to test the dev-version? You can download it at the bottom here: https://wordpress.org/plugins/events-made-easy/advanced/

Anonymous
    Inactive

I installed the dev version, but unfortunately the bug appears to have shifted. Now the custom fields for all events contained data, but the same for every event.
    It seemed all custom field data had been overwritten with the info that has been submitted for next week’s event (christmas sunday). I can’t think of any logic behind that.

So I reverted to a backup once more.

Franky
    Keymaster

I’m copying over data from 1 table to another, so maybe the sql there is not ok … I’ll test some more.

Franky
    Keymaster

I’ve tested this again and the sql seems ok and the behavior too …
    I’m wondering if the current behavior is related to some kind of mysql version. Any idea what you’re running?
    In short, this is the sql being executed:
    INSERT INTO wp_eme_answers(`field_id`,`related_id`,`answer`,`type`) SELECT `field_id`,`event_id`,`answer`,'event' FROM wp_eme_events_cf;
    (after which the table wp_eme_events_cf gets dropped). And I tested and retested, but it works as it should.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m absolutely no sql expert, so your code looks like Chinese to me. 😉
    But this is the info I got from my Site Health database info:
    Extension mysqli
    Server version 10.4.22-MariaDB-log-cll-lve
    Client version mysqlnd 7.4.26
    Database charset utf8mb4
    Database collation utf8mb4_unicode_ci

I just updated another site running EME with custom fields, hosted with the same hosting provider and there was no problem there. All data was where it should be. Database info from Site Health is identical.

So could it be a theme or plugin conflict? I will have to try but as I’m currently quite busy on another project that may have to wait some time.

I’ll keep you posted, many thanks so far.

Franky
    Keymaster

Your mysql/mariadb version seems ok, and the fact that it works ok for the other setup strenghtens my belief the code is now correct.

Franky
    Keymaster

I’ll move this to fixed for now.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sure, I’ll get back to you if I find anything noteworthy.
    Thanks and cheers!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘Bug fixed or feature request implemented’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Scroll to Top