If you want to have notifications sent when an event is booked, you need to set-up the plugin to match you server settings; the SMTP settings are at the end of the settings page. If you’re not the owner of the server where you website is hosted, you should get the relevant informations from the company hosting your website.
You can use regular smtp servers, authenticated smtp, wordpress mail, etc …
For secure mail, either use SSL or TLS when sending mail (for SSL the port is usually 465, for TLS it is usually 25 or 587), see below for an SSL example via Gmail.
If you choose to use a Gmail account to send your notifications, follow these steps:
- set Notification sender address to you Gmail user name
- set Mail sending port to 465
- set Mail sending method to SMTP
- set Use SMTP authentication? to Yes
- set SMTP Host to ssl://smtp.gmail.com
- set SMTP username to you Gmail user name (including “@gmail.com”)
- set SMTP password to your Gmail password
- cross your fingers
But, don’t forget: it’s the webserver that’s doing the sending, so it might be that port 465 is being blocked by a firewall …