Events Made Easy Forums Postponed feature requests Send a *.pkpass-file

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Thorsten
    Participant

Hello Franky,
    I now have a great EME running. The PDF tickets with QR code also work great.
    Since a lot of electronic tickets have recently been sent with a *.pkpass file, I am wondering whether or how I can create such a file with EME and send it by email?
    These files work very well with the electric wallets.
    Thank you, Thorsten

Franky
    Keymaster

Never heard of it (and I know about a lot of files 🙂 ). According to https://pkpass.info/, it seems “PKPASS technology is not very popular all over the world”.
    Seems to be some kind of signed file for a wallet app, it would require a specific php class to generate and sign the file + access to a file-based certificate.
    In short: not possible (currently not worth the effort to code it up).

Thorsten
    Participant

Thank you for your fast answer. That is very interesting, because this file type seems to be popular here in germany. Tickets for swimming, the zoo or for big musicals were sent with these files and my Android Wallet-App hast more then 5 Mio. users. I wonder how tickets are sent in the other countries …

Franky
    Keymaster

Well, here in Belgium we get a mail with usually a PDF attachment (or the qrcode directly in the mail).

Franky
    Keymaster

Also, you need passTypeIdentifier and teamIndentifier, which seems to be Apple-based info from a certificate (based on the little info I find on that format). So for now this is a no-go.

Thorsten
    Participant

That’s right. I have now looked up again and found similar information: I had used the files unconsciously with a app on my Android smartphone – but these were originally created for Apple devices:
    “PKPASS files can be imported into Passbook by simply downloading them using Safari on your iPhone. Sellers who distribute passports will need to digitally sign them to verify the issuer of the passport.
    PKPASS files are actually .ZIP files that contain logo images, passport formatting information, and a digital signature. To view the contents of a PKPASS file, you can rename the .Pkpass extension to .Zip and then use a zip program to extract the files.
    An Android app called PassWallet can also open and manage PKPASS files.”

Maybe this will be interesting for EME later on – at least you’ve heard now something about the file type 😉 Thank you again and best regards

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.